Abdomen Swelling 8 Days Post Op Avelar Tummy Tuck?

I am 8 days post op full tummy tuck Avelar procedure. Since yesterday I have had full abdomen tightness and swelling. The swelling is both upper and lower abdomen associated with skin tenderness. I was off pain medication, now I have to take again. Is this normal or could it be a sign of something worse etc. There does not seem to be much of a difference from am to pm. Very uncomfortable. I am small in size: 5 ft 3" 125 pounds pre surgery.

Increased Pain and Swelling after Avelar Abdominoplasty

+1

You should call  your PS to have a clinical evaluation.  Your situation may or may not be usual.  There can be swelling after liposuction/abdominoplasty but your garment should help that.  Increasing pain during the recovery period is not the norm. 

Dr. ES

Increased tenderness and swelling 8 days after tummy tuck should be evaluated

+1

Hello.

Although swelling is not uncommon after a tummy tuck increased swelling and tenderness after the first week of recovery warrants an evaluation as seroma, hematoma, and non-viable tissue all may be a source of your discomfort and may need intervention.  It would be helpful for you to be evaluate by your plastic surgeon.  In the mean time wearing your abdominal binder, staying hydrated, and avoiding exposure to tobacco products are things that you can do.

Remus Repta, MD

Tightness and Swelling after Tummy Tuck...

+1

Unfortunately,  it is not possible for online consultants to tell you definitively whether the “abdomen tightness and swelling” you are experiencing is “normal” or a potential problem. Therefore, it will be in your best interest to contact your plastic surgeon who knows your situation best and is ultimately responsible for your care. Direct physical examination will be necessary for accurate diagnosis, treatment and/or reassurance.

Avelar Tummy Tuck; increasing swelling at 8 days.

+1

It is normal to have residual swelling 8 days after an abdominoplasty. However, if the swelling is increasing rather than reducing, if the onset following surgery is fairly fast (24- 48 hours) maybe you are experiencing a collection of blood (hematoma) or fluid  (seroma).

I would recommend to contact the office of your surgeon to be assessed sooner rather than later and determine the reason of the swelling and discomfort.

All the best.

Andrea Marando, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Swelling 8 Days Post Avelar Tummy Tuck

+1

The Avelar tummy tuck is a combination of skin resection and liposuction.  Your post op swelling at around 5-8 days after liposuction is very, very normal and not to be concerned about.  That being said, there is always the possibility of a seroma or hematoma .  This can be determined by your plastic surgeon during a face to face post op evaluation.  Even if it is a seroma or hematoma, it is not a serious emergency.  However, I highly recommend you contact your plastic surgeon today and get to see him or her within the next day or two. 

In my practice, I use DMSO and ultrasound (the kind physical therapists use for sore muscles) to decrease swelling and pain in liposuctioned areas.  Also, at this stage and since your swelling has become painful, in my practice, I would use a short course of corticosteroids to decrease the swelling and, therefore, the discomfort. 

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon