Is Abcess with Yellow Drainage Signs of Nasal Implant Infections? (photo)

I had my silicone nasal implant 10 yrs ago. But 2 months ago until now, I developed a huge pimple that look like abcess with a yellow puss coming out. I dont feel any pain but its itchy. My Dr says its not my implant and put me in antibiotic and cream for 2 months now. The culture, xray, CT scan and blood work turns out negative.Is this an implant infection? If I will have it removed, how long til I get a new implant?

Purulent Drainage Adjacent to Nasal Implant

+1

If you have had purulent drainage from your nose for 2 months despite antibiotic treatment you do have an infection which cannot be eliminated because of the presence of a foreign body, the implant. The implant should be removed and the CT scan read by a radiologist to make sure there is no underlying infection of the bone. Consider the placement of cartilage grafts rather than another implant.

Is Abcess with Yellow Drainage Signs of Nasal Implant Infections?

+1

Thanks for posting photos. By definition your nasal implant is acting as a "nidus" for infection. Best to remove allow 2 to 3 months healing before attempting re insertion. Follow up would be nice. Best to you. 

Nasal implant infection or not?

+1

It is probably a nasal  implant infection, but there are several questions first. Did the CT scan show a communication to the implant and did your doctor probe the abscess depth, etc.  what does your doctor think this is? See another surgeon if you still have no resolution to this.

It's the implant

+1

Odds are you have an infected implant and it will need to be removed. Antibiotics may help for a while, but removing the implant (and any backing on it) will cure your problem.

Web reference: http://www.wrmd.com

Can't tell for sure, but quite possible

+1

Without examining you I couldn't tell for sure, but it would, unfortunately, be my first impression.  Silicone implants do have this problem usually after quite a while.  If this is treated with antibiotics and heals then reoccurs, in all liklihood there is contamination of the implant and it will need removal.  There are options for treatment including removal without implant or grafting, and removal with treatment at a later date using autologous grafting like your own cartilage or bone.  See several doctors before proceeding, unless this becomes an emergency situation.  Good luck

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Unfortunately, this is likely an infected nasal implant

+1

Unfortunately, this is likely an infected nasal implant.  This implant needs removal.  After several months you could consider replacing your impant.  I would recommend your own tissue for this (rib cartilage works well).  You need a surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty revisions.  Make appointments for consultations with multiple surgeons. Look at lots of before and after photos. Board certification by The American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, The American Board of Cosmetic Surgery, The American Board of Otolaryngology or The American Board of Plastic Surgery is preferred. Warmest regards.

Dr. Pippin

Metairie Facial Plastic Surgeon

Infected Nasal Implant

+1

Sadly, these signs and symptoms point in one direction only; no resolution on 2 months of antibiotics help reinforce this.  The silicone implant is infected and will require removal to resolve the issue.  Silicone is never truly integrated into the body and a capsule forms around it.  The most conservative way to deal with the problem is to remove the implant and delay reconstruction for several weeks, but immediate reconstruction is feasible albeit somewhat more risky.

Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Abscess over implant

+1

It is very likely that you have a chronic infection of your implant which will not be relieved until the implant is removed.  The bridge can be rebuilt at the same time as the implant is removed if your own cartilage is used as opposed to another implant.

Web reference: http://www.seattlerhinoplasty.com/html/index.php