Am I a Suitable Candidate for Forehead Reduction Surgery? Should I Do Something To My Hairline as Well? (photo)

I am 21 years old and have been losing hair ever since I was 13. I don't have much hair fall anymore, but my forehead has become high & I cannot even part my hair because it looks bad so I just keep it messy. I really want to do something about it. And my hairline isn't VERY thick as you can see in the photos so I think maybe hair grafting (I have moderately thick hair on the sides and back) in combination with forehead reduction is what I need? It is depressing. Please help me out. Thanks.

Forehead Reduction Surgery to alter hairline

+1

It would be first important to know the nature of how and why you are losing your hair (there are different reasons, hormonal, genetic, certain medical conditions, etc) and that your hair loss is stable. With that information one could best recommend whether hair bearing scalp flaps with or without micro-grafting would be your best option

Options

+1

Yours is a difficult problem.  The easiest plan is to wear bangs to camouflage the high hair line.

You can have an operation to reduct your forehead.  The incision is made at your hairline,

lifting the scalp so that it can be advanced forward allowing the surgeon to excise or cut out

about a half to a full inch of your forehead.  There will be a scar at the hairline, so you may still

have to wear your hair down on your forehead.  Usually the scar is not bad if it is done properly. 

Another consequence of this surgery is that there will be some numbness to your scalp.  You may

get some feeling back, but it could be permanent. A better solution would be to see a surgeon who

does hair grafting.  This is a relatively easy procedure to do if you find someone who does this

all the time.  You don't want to be someones first case.

Good luck

E. Anthony Musarra II, MD

Forehead Reductionh Surgery

+1

Before recommending a technique to lower your hairline I want to know if the progression of your hair loss from a very young age has been evaluated. I am cautious about recommending treatment for . hair loss in a patient in whom I don't know the ultimate extent of their alopecia. If you are a candidate for hair replacement surgery I would recommend a flap or hairline lowering using the Irregular Trichophytic Incision which we described many years ago.

You are 21, these surgeons are proposing creating is less natural than your current hairline.

+1

It is important to understand that with a hair flap procedure the hair line, which is actually a zone and not a line, can look unnaturally compressed even in the best of hands.  This can also be true for a micro grafted hair line as well.  The message is that you need to be careful regarding what you are looking for.  I would recommend that you start with several opinions after in depth personal consultations before embarking on any hair surgery.  You will be even more depressed if you are unhappy after surgery because of some unanticipated result or effect.

Forehead reductoin versus hair transplants

+1

I f you are no longer losing hair, and are female with  average scalp laxity and do not employ hair styling that weakens the hair or puts traction on it,  I would suggest you first consider forehead reduction. Transplants could always be done later. Transplants will not give you thicker hair in the front  than what we see on the pictures.With the forehed reduction, these finer hairs could be excised making the leading hairs of your new hairline come from the thicker hairs that are a few millimeter behind. However, thick hairs at the very front of the  hairiline can look unnatural. If you are male, this becomes an entirely different discussion. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Grafting For Forehead Reduction.

+1

Given your long forehead, skin color and sparse density at the frontal hairline, I would consider hair tranplantation as opposed to an excisional  forehead reduction. This would be aesthetically safer as opposed to a potentially visible scar along the hairline.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD