Am I a Suitable Candidate for a Breast Reduction? (photo)

I'm only 19 years old and unfortunately I have very sagging breasts. Over the past year I've lost 30 pounds and currently weigh 165 lbs. I would like to lose another 15 to be within a healthy range for my 5'5'' frame before proceeding with a reduction, but I'm afraid weight loss will only further deflate my 36DD chest. Ideally, I would like a 36C. I'm also wondering if the breast reduction could eliminate stretch marks and what type of incision would be necessary for adequate results. Thanks.

Breast Reduction Incisions

+2

You would need to be seen in person to determine the incisions necessary for surgery.  However, you should keep in mind that you will need a significant reduction and lift and you should not let your worry about the incision impede your surgeon from doing what is necessary to achieve the best, most symmetric and natural appearing result.

Am I a suitable candidate for a breast reduction? (photo)

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question and photos.  It is a safe procedure, in which your plastic surgeon will reduce the amount of breast tissue, reshape your breasts, raise the nipple-areolar complex to its appropriate position (possibly making the size smaller, if needed), and ultimately ameliorate the possible complaints that you do have for the reason that you are having this procedure (e.g., neck/back pain, migraines, rashes/infections, shoulder grooving, etc).  The first question is if you are happy with the overall size of your breasts now.  If so, given your photos, a breast lift looks like the more likely procedure, as not much of a reduction is needed in your case.  The goals will be similar; the differences would be the actual excision of tissue.

It would be in your best interest to have a mammogram prior to the procedure for screening prior to this procedure, as the architecture imaging of your breast will slightly change afterwards. Well known data exists that having a breast reduction will in fact lower your chance for developing breast cancer, simply because the amount of tissue will be less.

Consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon who will discuss the procedure with you, examine, and assist you in determining if this is the right procedure for you.  Voice your complaints - your insurance will likely require a detailed description of your history and complaints as well as photo and an estimate of how much tissue will be removed.  You should give a description of the therapies that you have done to ameliorate your complaints thus far.  Any other notes from other physicians is helpful.  It would also behoove you to discuss your issues yourself with your insurance carrier.  Hope that this helps!  Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Suitable for breast reduction

+1
You have done well to lose the weight and you should be at your ideal weight before considering breast reduction. I would not be worried about deflation it is more important to be at your ideal weight. You also need to consider the pros and cons of performing this surgery if you are considering breast feeding in the future. 
In terms of incisions you need a breast lift on the right and a reduction mastopexy on the left. Depending on the size you wish to be, more tissue could be removed from both accordingly. It is likely you will need a periareola scar and a vertical scar +/- inframammary scar. Breast reduction may improve the appearance of stretch marks but does not remove them.
The most important decision is the timing of this surgery and you should consult with a plastic surgeon to go through the pros and cons.   

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Am I a Candidate For Breast Reduction Surgery?

+1

Thank you for your question and photos.

Congratulations on your weight loss! Please do not fret about your breasts becoming more ptotic with continued weight loss plans. A 15lb loss may take you down to your desired C cup. I see that your right breast is significantly smaller than your left. No worries. Once you have achieved your desired weight and maintained it for a few months, you can consider reducing your left breast to match the right.The Ultimate Breast Lift/Reduction is a technique that reshapes and lifts breasts to accomplish upper pole fullness without a vertical scar or breast implants. Breasts are anchored securely and because there is no vertical scar that weakens the skin envelope, the UBL outlasts any other lift currently performed. The incisions are hidden around the areolas and in the natural crease of your breasts.

Kind regards,

Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Good Candidate for Breast Reduction Surgery?

+1

Thank you for your question and photos.  I think you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. Timing of the breast reduction surgery is  based on  the patient's life circumstances and psychosocial place in life and is a very individual- specific decision.  Patients must be able to accept the scars (which result from the breast reduction surgery)  in exchange for the improvement in size/contour/position of  the breasts.  Some patients choose to have the breast reduction surgery earlier in life; some patients prefer to wait until they are in mature/stable relationships and/or have completed  having pregnancies.

I ask my patients to be at a long term stable weight prior to surgery - this is the best way to achieve the most accurate results from surgery - so I would recommend that You continue to do what you are doing.

Visit with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons to discuss your options for surgery.    Ask to see lots of examples of their work. Communicative goals clearly;  remember "C  cop” may mean different things to different people. Therefore, I prefer to communicate with the help of goal pictures. 

As for the stretch marks, some may be removed with the skin removal but it is likely that not all stretch marks will not be removed with this surgery.  You will probably benefit from incisions around the areola, vertically, and horizontally.

I hope this is helpful.

Breast reduction and weight loss

+1

If you go on to lose weight, it is conceivable that you will lose more breast volume,. You should wait until your weight is stable.  Incisions around the breast are permanent.

Lollipop scar breast reduction works very well.

+1

Hi.

1)  You look like a very good candidate for vertical (Lejour technique) breast reduction with a lollipop scar.  This technique gives the best long term results in terms of shape, and it minimizes scars. You can certainly go down to a C cup, but only some of the stretch marks can be removed.

2)  Congratulations on your successful weight loss!

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast reduction candidate

+1

Breast reduction surgery is very likely to be able to change your bra size from a 36dd to a 36 c. The type of incisions and technique will depend on your physical exam and discussion with a board certified plastic surgeon. Whether or not your stretch marks will change or be removed depends on their location and the type of incisions made. This should all be discussed with the plastic surgeon.

Sheila Bond, MD
Montclair Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction Candidacy

+1

From your photos, it appears that you would be a good candidate for a breast reduction and a post-op C cup seems realistic.  There are various incisions which can be used.  You can discuss this with a BC plastic surgeon with whom you can also discuss other benefits/risks.

John Whitt, MD