Am I a Right Candidate for a Tummytuck?

Am I a good candidate at my given size? I am 5'4", 220 lbs, and 42 years old with 2 kids and 2 c-section,however I've lost 80 lb and kept it for the last 2 yrs. I think I've reached a plateau I cant lose more.

Tummy tuck

+2

You are still overweight but could have the surgery if you have hanging skin and fat. Sometimes patients are motivated to lose even more weight after the surgery

Tummy Tuck Candidate

+2

If you are at a plateau and cannot lose weight further, you could benefit from a tummy tuck provided that you are otherwise healthy.  After the tummy tuck, you may find it easier to be more active.  If you are then you may lose more weight.  If you lose another 50 pounds or more in the future, you may find that you want a second one.  If not, you will definitely benefit from a tummy tuck.

Sacha Obaid, MD

Am I a Right Candidate for a Tummytuck

+2

Ideally, we like to see patients at a stable weight with a BMI of under 30, or better under 25.  To get to 30, you would need to lose another 45 pounds. 

Above 30 risks are higher, results not a good, but it is not an automatic no. Having accomplished what you have and having reached a plateau counts as a factor when weighing benefits and risks. 

When you are ready for an in person consultation, RealSelf has listings of surgeons in your area. You should consider cross referencing the listings from the The American Society of Plastic Surgeons (plasticsurgery dot org). A listing in the ASPS website assures you that your surgeon is not only board certified,  but also is a member in good standing of the major plastic surgery organization in the U. S. Thank you for your question, best wishes.

Tummy tuck results are best if you are close to your ideal body weight

+1

Thank you for your question. Photographs would help. Based on your weight and height I would suggest that you lose weight first to get closer to your ideal weight before considering tummy tuck

Excess fat beneath the skin limits the amount of tightening that is possible during a tummy tuck and losing weight after a tummy tuck will result in the loose skin coming back.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck Candidate

+1

Excellent Candidate for Tummy Tuck

You appear to be an reasonable  candidate for a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty). Women and men who have excess skin and/or fat around the abdomen which does not respond to diet and exercise are candidates for abdominoplasty. Of course you would be a better candidate and have less risk with surgery if you could lose more weight. As I am sure you are aware a tummy tuck is not a substitute for diet and exercise. Abdominoplasty candidates have excess abdominal skin which may sag, a disproportionate or protruding abdomen, weakened or separated abdominal muscles, or excess fat concentrated in the abdomen.

Other tummy tuck patients may recently have lost a lot of weight and need to have excess skin and tissue removed. Many women choose to have an abdominoplasty following pregnancy, since their skin usually ends up stretched out.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+1

Thank you for the question. At some point, you will likely be an excellent candidate for tummy tuck surgery. Best to achieve your long-term stable weight prior to proceeding however. Doing so, will decrease risks associated with the procedure and improve the outcome achieved. 

I have also attached some advice that I provide to my patients who are about to go tummy tuck surgery:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself)  and that you have realistic expectations.  Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life   situation.  You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.

2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be  more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.

3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.

4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.
5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina  of your caretakers.

6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.

7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.

8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).

9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the   emotional swings that you may experience.

10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.

11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

I hope this,  and the attached link, helps.

Tumm tuck

+1

Since you have lost almost 1/4 of your body weight and you are maintaining your weight for a good lengh of time, it sounds like you are a suitable candidate for abdominoplasty. If your C sections were done through a horizental incision " smily incision" your plastic surgeon could use the excisting incision  for performing the tummy tuck operation.

Fereydoon S. Mahjouri, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon