Am I a Good Canidate for a Tummy Tuck? Mini, Full or Lipo? (photo)

I am 18 years old And I have never had children. I have been chunky all of mylife but I have always been healthy (as the doctor always told me)I have always been active. In the last four years I Have been weighing 250. My height is 5'8. My doctors could never believe my weight because while I am chubby, it does not look like I weigh 250. For the past two years I have been trying to lose the weight running miles every day with no weight loss at all. I do not want to spend my youth at this size

Candidate for tummy tuck, mini or lipo?

+1

Lipo or tt is not a weight loss procedure.  However, lipo is for moderate sculpting and a tummy tuck will remove excess skin and tighten your muscle. I would advise you to lose some weight before considering lipo or TT as I do not feel that you would really benefit from having the procedure. Further, there is an issue of skin quality. Removing fat without having good elastic skin will just leave sagging skin devoid of fat. I do not think that would help you to reach you goals or make you feel any better. Last the complication rate dramatically increases when your bmi is greater than 30. Alternativley you can just get the skin removed and not have muscle tightening, then after pregancy have more skin removed and also get the muscle tightened. Pl understand that you would not get the full effect of a tummy tuck by just removing the skin. So this suggestion is a value judgement for you to make. Sorry 

Tummy tuck at 18?

+1

I do not recommend that you undergo tummy tuck until after you have children.  In the meantime, maintaining a healthy diet and healthy lifestyle with regular exercise is your best bet.  Good Luck.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Abdominal Contouring At 18

+1
Your body will undergo changes throughout your whole life. Diet and exercise are a better choice at your age than surgery to achieve the shape you would prefer. You will want to make sure you have adopted habits that will work for you over the long haul rather than looking for an external, short term solution for your body concerns. It is unlikely that surgery will give you long term satisfaction.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

Tummy tuck at age 18?

+1
Be sure your endocrine profile (adrenal, thyroid, glucose tolerance, etc.) is normal. If so, relax. You are mesomorphic, lots of your weight probably muscle, which has a higher water content and weighs more per unit volume than fat. Focus on your appearance and health, not the number on the scale. You are beautiful. If there are areas you want to change, see one or several plastic surgeons near you to discuss. If hormones are OK, consider fitness advice, very lean (high protein, no fat, no carb, appetite suppressants) before surgery. Kick It! You have the power, I feel it.

Steve Laverson, MD

Liposuction Candidate?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

You should be congratulated on your efforts to lose weight.

I would suggest several consultations before you think about plastic surgery.

First,  I would suggest a evaluation by a internist  to work up any medical issues that may have prevented you from losing weight. Next I would suggest consultation with a dietitian and/or reputable weight-loss program.

Although, I understand your concerns regarding  “spending your youth  at this size”,  it would be much better to achieve your goals without surgery.

If you do decide to consider surgery please  consult with a  well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Abdominal contouring at 18 years of age

+1

Since you are young and haven never had any children your body still has the potential of having the skin bounce back if the amount of fat was reduced.  This can certainly be done by liposuction but it would be less expensive and overall a better result if you lost some or all of the excess weight yourself.  I would encourage you to consult with a dietician and fitness person if needed or perhaps a surgical weight loss doctor to evaluate different options for loosing weight as this will be the best result as well as make the most meaningful impact in your long term health.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD