Am I a Good Candidate for Areola Reduction?

I am 22 years old, 125 pounds and I have never liked my nipples. I am a very confident person naturally but having big nipples makes me feel very self-conscious naked. I would be willing to get surgery and I have always thought of it. I like the size of my breasts, though they are not perky, I am okay with that. I would more or less like to know the procedure and If I Am a good candidate for areola reduction.

+2

Thanks for the posted photo. Sure areolar reduction is a local anesthetic operation. The only negatives are potential scars and numbness. 

Areola Reduction

+1

To determine if you are a suitable candidate please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Best of luck.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Nipple reduction

+1
You would be a good candidate for nipple reduction with or without mastopexy. See a board certified plastic surgeon in your area who can describe the procedure to you in detail.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Areola reduction surgery

+1

Jessi;

Thank you for your question and the picture makes it much easier to answer. You appear to be a good candidate for an areola reduction in the form of a periareolar mastopexy, also known as a Benelli or donut mastopexy. It would involve making a circular incision around the edge of the areola and another circular incision inside of the areola. The skin between the incisions would be removed and the incision closed with a 'purse-string' suture. It would also provide you with a little bit of a lift but would not change your breast size.

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Areola reduction?

+1

Yes, you are a candidate for areola reduction. Fortunately, this is a procedure that can often be done under local or general anesthesia.

It would be wise for you to consider the  scar that will result, around the  areola. The appearance of the scar may range from a fine line to a wide/thick/raise scar (that may require scar revision surgery).

You should also consider  other unfavorable sequelae resulting from this procedure. This may include asymmetric areola, loss or change of sensation, wound healing problems (possibly suture related), recurrence of the “spreading of the areola” and potential changing/flattening of the breasts' profiles.

Please make sure you're working with a well experienced/board-certified plastic surgeon.

Areolar reduction can be done under local anesthesia

+1

Based on your photos, you appear to be a good candidate for an areolar reduction. This can be done under local anesthesia and the stitches are absorbable. The procedure will leave a circumferential scar around your areola which generally heals quite well over time. I prefer to use a deep Gore-Tex suture which decreases the chances of areolar widening over time.

Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon for a complete evaluation in person.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Yes you are and excellent candidate for areolar reduction

+1

Dear Jessi,

Thank you for your questions. Yes you would be a very appropriate candidate for areolar reduction. In the best hands the scar is not great but a lot can be done to make sure you heal as much as possible with pencil line thin incisions. You will also get a slight "lift" and more perkiness from the procedure if you want that. The amount of lift and size of the areolae can be planned ahead. I do these under local anesthesia and that turns out fine. You should use tape for about six months after surgery on your incisions. Sensation and breast feeding should all be totally normal. 

Thank you,

James Romano, MD

James Romano, MD

Candidate for areolar reduction

+1

You are a good candidate for areolar reduction. This could be part of a Benelli breast lift from which you would also benefit. The scar is circumferential and at the junction of the new areola with the breast skin.

J. Brian Boyd, MD