Am I a Good Candidate for a Tummy Tuck? (Age 17, 143lb, 5'6")

When I was 13 I was around 5'2" reached 188 lb, managed to get down to ~143 lb. today at 17 years old, 5'6", and and my skin is pretty saggy. I have been focusing on abs exercise for 2 years, but my skin is not getting any tighter, and I am tired of it.

Tummy tuck in 17 year old following massive weight loss

+1

Since recently losing the weight, I would advise an aggressive regimen of core strengthening exercise to restore tone to the abdominal wall. At your age, this is definitely worth it. Once stable at your weight, it is my impression that you would derive aethetic benefits from a full tummy tuck. The decision for muscle repair would depend on the results of your exercise.

Tummy Tucks in a 17 year old is NOT a good idea

+1

As beneficial as a Tummy Tuck may be, its results in a 17 year old woman will be very short lasting. Further weight fluctuations and pregnancies would rapidly reverse all gains made by the surgery. Ideally, you should have this surgery when you are mature and have realistic expectations, have had stable weight for 6 months and completed your family.

Dr. Aldea

Tummy tuck after weight loss

+1

Once you are stable at your weight for atleast 6 months, then it would be a good time for a tummy tuck.

Just remember that your results will change after pregnancy and once you are done with your pregnancy, if you plan on becoming pregnant, then you may need a revision tummy tuck at that point.

Good luck and congrats on your weight loss.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Abdominoplasty in young after weight loss

+1

You have a very normal problem after significant weight loss, marked extra skin. This is more likely to occur in someone older, since their skin has less elastic tissue, but can occur in younger people also. If your weight is stable, you need an abdominoplasty.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

You may want to wait till your growth has stopped

+1

You have done a great job. You should be very proud of your weight reduction. The best time for the tummy tuck is when your weight been stable for at least a year.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck will correct sagging skin.

+1

Hi.

I would personally not operate on you at 17.  Wait a year or two.  But then a tummy tuck may well be what you need.  Need to have lifestyle for stable weight.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)