Am I a Good Candidate for Restylane Under my Eyes?

I haven't always had these drastic circles under my eyes. They only developed about 4 months ago with the onset of some chronic insomnia. At least that's what I had thought the cause was. Now that I've been sleeping fine again, they haven't gone away. I have also gained a little bit of fat in my face. So my first question is, does anyone know what may have caused this change? and my second question is, am I a good candidate for fillers/are there any other non-surgical options?

Restylane under eyes

+2

The dark circles under your eyues have 3 components:

1- Loss of fat, starting at an early age, allowing the darkness from the underlying veins to become noticeable

2- A shadow due to the backward  move of the tissues at the time of the loss of fat

3- Actual pigmentation in the area, accompanying the loss of fat.

The first two factors can be corrected by Restylane injections.

The 3rd can be mildly corrected by the added  volume  that Restylane provides,.

Make sure that you are being treated by an experienced, Board Certified Dermatologist or Plasric Surgeon

Chicago Dermatologist

Restylane can be an excellent option for hollowness under the eyes

+2

Greetings~

Often we see more shadowing or hollowing under the eyes as a person ages, but unfortunately sometimes we see it in young patients as well.  It can be hereditary.  We must also consider any shadowing caused by pigment changes or vascular components that can contribute to discoloration.  If it is just hollowing from fat loss or not having a sufficient amount of fat in the area of your orbital rim to begin with then Restylane may be a very nice option for you.   Though the results are temporary, they can last around 9 months (for some patients it may not last quite as long and for others longer) and if this is something that really troubles you it would probably be worth it to you to repeat every 9 months or so.  It's best to consult with someone who has had a great deal of experience injecting Restylane under the eyes for the best results.  Our patients have been very pleased with the results.

Good luck~

Dr. Grant Stevens      

Grant Stevens, MD

Restylane for the circles, yes

+2

Jayb, A diet is not the answer. Some Restylane, injected carefully, by an experienced physician should give you some improvement. It is temporary so worth trying.

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

Restylane for dark circles is one option . . .

+2

You have dark circles on the basis of shadowing from your orbital rim. The "little bit of fat" you gained in your face aggravates the shadow effect since your periorbital fate does not increase if you gain weight, but the rest of your facial fat does.

Restylane can, if skillfully injected, help your concern, BUT it must be repeated every 6-9 months. I'd suggest first losing the weight you gained, and see what that does! You are too young and attractive to need Restylane on a regular basis! Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Restylane for Dark Circles Los Angeles.

+2

Hi Jayb.  Normally the type of volume loss you have under your eyes is hereditary or develops as we age.  The "dark circles" are actually areas where there used to be thicker, healthy tissue.  As we age, the facial muscles and soft tissue move downward causing volume loss below the eyes.  The skin thins and often appears darker because small blood vessels beneath the surface become more visible.

Our non-surgical answer to this issue is Restylane injections.  These injection procedures help provide volume in areas where it has been lost, pushing the sunken area of the under-eye forward and making the dark circles appear more uniform in color with the surrounding skin.  There are several examples of this injection procedure in the photos at the link below.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Restylane for tear troughs

+1

You have lost volume under your eyes which may be hereditary and Restylane would be the filler of choice.  You should consult a board certified dermatologist who can inject the filler and also treat any pigmentation that may be present.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Restylane for Lower Lids

+1

Jayb,

Restylane injection to your lower lids will disguise the fat bags.  Any shadowing due to the fat bags will improve after Restyalne inection.  If your circles have a component of hyperpigmentation, this will not respond to Restylane and will require other treatment, such as a chemical peel.

Michael McCracken, MD
Lone Tree Oculoplastic Surgeon