Am I a Good Candidate for a Mini Tuck?

I hate the pouch that my hysterectomy left - the scar is not so bad. With age and weight up and down (though never a heavy person) I have loose skin as well. Would I be a good candidate for a mini? Would what results I get would it really be worth it? What other options would I have? I am so very self-consious and embarrassed with the way I look.

Mini tummy tuck?

+1

No you are not a good candidate for the mini tummy tuck procedure.

In my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.

It is important to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve your chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

Mini tummy tuck after a hysterectomy

+1

A mini tummy tuck is a safe and effective procedure that can create a more contoured abdomen, a tight waist and a beautiful figure.

In our Miami practice, we have performed many tummy tucks after patients have received C-sections or other abdominal or gynecologic surgeries. These patients are excellent candidates because as you have encountered, they already have a scar. We can place our incision below this pre-existing scar to create a beautiful shape and place the new scar very low on the pubis so that patients do not have difficulty wearing small bikinis or low-cut jeans. We can most utterly treat the bulge of tissue above your hysterectomy scar with such a procedure. Do not be concerned this bulge is extremely common!

Pat Pazmino, MD

Mini-tummy tuck choice

+1

Without an exam I could not be sure, but the muscles look weak and it looks like you have a lot of skin that may be more amenable to a full tummy tuck.

Mini tummy tuck after hysterectomy

+1

You could essentially undergo scar revision with liposuction. However this would not treat upper abdominal muscle laxity

Candidates for a Mini Tummy Tuck or Partial Abdominoplasty

+1

A good candidate for a mini tummy tuck is one who has a tight upper abdomen and relatively little body fat and just some laxity in the skin between the belly button and the pubic area. 

There are some individuals who are heavier and qualify for this procedure only because they are more interested in how they look in clothes and aren't dead set in wearing a bikini or bare midriff tops.  I choose to give these individuals the option in having the full tummy tuck or for financial reasons, they may opt to have a partial abdominoplasty with aggressive liposuctioning of the upper stomach. Liposuctioning helps jump start the weight loss which should lead to changes in diet and exercise.

Genevieve MacDonald, MD

Mini or standard abdominoplasty?

+1

The mini tuck with full abdominal liposuction could give you acceptable results, but you may still have some excess skin laxity above your belly bottom. The full abdominoplasty combined with liposuction could correct the laxity of your abdominal muscles, the excess skin and the excess fat. This would be my first choice.

Farhad Rafizadeh, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Mini or traditional tummy tuck or possibly SmartLipo

+1

It is not possible to determine what procedure you need from the single photo you supplied.  In addition to photos from the side you also need to have an exam from a surgeon that is an expert in body contouring.  The choice between mini tummy tuck, tummy tuck, and SmartLipo needs to be determined with an exam.

The way to determine if SmartLipo is the best choice for you is to see how well your abdominal muscles contract and flatten your abdomen.  if you still have bulging of the abdominal wall when you contract, then SmartLipo probably isn't your best choice because it only removes excess fat and tightens the skin.

If you have bulging of the abdomen when you flex your abs then you usually need a tummy tuck (mini or regular).  The way to determine which one you need is to see where the bulging is located.  If it is ONLY below the belly button then a mini tummy tuck is usually sufficient.  If, however, you have bulging below AND above (and especially if you have excess skin above the belly button) then you usually need a full tummy tuck.

Almost 90% of my patients that get a tummy tuck (mini or regular) will also benefit from liposuction of the hip area as well.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for a Mini Tuck

+1

From the limited photo my answer is YES, maybe. I would do extended mini tummy tuck with upper abdomen smart lipo. I do this combination frequently with healing at 1 week. 

My guess would be 'no'.

+1

Dolly,

Without photos from the side, it is less reliable to tell you whether a mini tummy tuck would be sufficient to correct your problem.  That view would better show the roundness of your abdomen above the belly button; if it is very full up there, a normal tummy tuck would be a better option.

Also, it is a bit difficult to determine how loose the skin around the belly button feels without examining you.  If it is significantly loose, then a mini tummy tuck would not be the best option.

Overall, I see very few patients that I think would do well with a mini tummy tuck.  In your case you could improve a little the looseness below the belly button, but it would require an incision length nearly what a normal tummy tuck would require.

As always, you should go in for a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon and let him or her determine your best option.

Good luck!

Brian K. Brzowski, MD
Ogden Plastic Surgeon