When I was born I had a hernia and my belly button turned into an outie. Am I a Good Candidate for Umbilicoplasty? (photo)

I am a 21 year old male. When I was born I had a hernia and my belly button turned into an outie. I know the doctors did something to put it back in but I'm not sure exactly what but it came out and my parents decided to leave it out. I wanted to know if I was a good candidate for umbilicoplasty, I have scarring around my belly button from the hernia surgery, so Im not really sure if an umbilicoplasty wold be good cosmetically because my scars would be alot more visible. Estimate would be nice.

Umbilicoplasty - Is It The Right Surgery For Me?

+1

As the other responders have already said, you probably have a recrudescence of your hernia.  This could be repaired and a cosmetic umbilicoplasty done at the same time may, in fact, improve your scar and get rid of most of your outie.  Get an examination and consultation from a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon experienced in both hernia repairs and umbilicoplasties.  The cost estimate would best come from the plastic surgeon that you consult with.

Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Umbilicoplasty with or without hernia repair

+1

Thank you for your question and the photos. From the pictures, yes, it appears you would see benefit if you elected to have umbilicoplasty.  If there is still a hernia there, it usually can be fixed at the same time.  

For an examination and estimate of cost, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a consultation to see what type of umbilicoplasty is right for you.

Good luck.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Umbilicoplasty

+1

I think an umbilicoplasty with a repeat correction of the umbilical hernia should make it look much better.

Julio Garcia, MD