Am I a Good Candidate for a Tummy Tuck?

im 23 i have had 3 c-sections and my weight is at 184 im 5.4 i wanna know if i would be a good candidate for a tummy tuck or if i should loose weight ?

How much weight should I lose until I am ready for a tummy tuck?

+2

Thanks for your question!

There is no magic number or weight that tells you if you are ready for your tummy tuck.  If you have the time and patience, getting to within 10-15 pounds of your ideal body weight (IBW) and maintaining that weight for 6 months will give you the best possible result. Getting your BMI or body mass index below or close to 28 is another good practice.  There are several  BMI calculators available online for you to plug in your height and weight and get your current BMI.

The best way to get a definitive answer for you would be to get a consultation from a board certified plastic surgeon who has extensive experience in your desired procedure and has good before and after photos to show you.  A thorough examination of your abdomen and previous scars would also be extremely helpful.

Good luck!

Pasadena Plastic Surgeon

Am I a Good Candidate for a Tummy Tuck?

+2

Hard to answer this without photos and some more info. A tummy tuck will allow for removal of excess skin of the abdomen, and for tightening of the abdominal wall. It will not treat weight issues, and will not improve the abdominal contents.

If you do have good anatomy to expect improvement with a TT, you would do well to lose some weight. The procedure will have fewer risks, and the outcome will be better. Currently, your body mass index is just under 32. Thirty is a cut off many surgeons suggest using, but 25 is probably a reasonable goal.That would require 40 pound of weight loss. Hard work, but worth it.

Thanks for your question, best wishes. 

Candidates for Tummy Tuck

+2

Without seeing pictures and/or doing an in person examination, it is difficult to give you an accurate answer.  Some general things to know about being a candidate for an abdominoplasty: 1) The closer you are to your ideal weight and BMI, the better final result you will get  2) You should be finished having children prior to proceeding with surgery  3) You should be a non-smoker.  Again, there are some other important factors (skin laxity, muscle laxity, fat distribution, etc) that can only be assessed with an exam to determine if you are a good candidate. 

Web reference: http://www.settyplastics.com/body-contouring-mckinney/tummy-tuck/

Will you lose weight before tummy tuck

+2

At your current weight your BMI is 32, which is 20% over weight. Still you could have a great tummy tuck if your abdominal skin is lax. It is just that at a lower weight you could look even better. Hope you can do it.

Web reference: http://www.peterejohnsonmd.com/tummy-tuck

Ideal Candidate for Tummy Tuck

+2

Without seeing you in person or seeing "before" pictures, it is impossible to give you specific advice.  While using BMI is a good measure for determining if someone is a good candidate for a tummy tuck, other factors must also be addressed, such as laxity of skin, laxity of abdominal muscles, proportion of internal abdominal fat to external or subcutaneous fat, etc.  I would suggest making an appointment for a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Good luck.

Web reference: http://www.ShaferPlasticSurgery.com

Weight loss is not a necessity before a tummy tuck.

+2

Ideally, every patient would be at ideal body weight before any operation.  Many patients cannot accomplish this so the operation is performed even in patients that are overweight.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/

Tummy Tuck Candidate

+2

In order to obtain the best aesthetic result with the lowest risk of complications, I would recommend that you try to lose some weight first.  If additional weight loss is not possible, you may still be a candidate for a tummy tuck if you otherwise healthy, but would need to understand that the results may be compromised.  I would also consider delaying the tummy tuck if you are considering having more children since an additional pregnancy may negatively affect the results.  Good luck!  

Time for a tummy tuck

+2

An ideal tummy tuck candidate has loose excessive abdominal skin, is close to their ideal body weight, has a somewhat stretched out abdomen, and is ready for a new figure. It's a great procedure and the results can be dramatic. Photos are key to the assessment. 

At 184 pounds and 5'3", am I a good candidate for a TT?

+2

It is really important to review photos when evaluating for cosmetic surgery. At 184 pounds and 5'3" you are quite overweight. As a general rule it would be better for you to lose about 30 pounds before proceeding with a TT. You would get a better result and the procedure can be safer.

Web reference: http://drlefkovits.com

Weight Loss before Tummy Tuck

+2

At 5'4", 184 lbs, weight loss prior to surgery would only improve the final result.  If you are otherwise healthy, it would not be unreasonable to perform a tummy tuck on you at your current weight.  However, if you plan on losing more than 20 or 30 lbs, you should delay the surgery until after the weight is lost.  You do not want to do the tummy tuck, lose weight, and then have to remove more skin later.