Am I a Good Candidate for a Tummy Tuck? Age 22, With A Child, But Want More Children Years Later.

I am 22 yrs old will be 23 in about 5 months. I have a 2 yr. old son and had him by cesarean. I gained weight after I had him and then I have lost about 30lbs. and am currently 130 lbs. right now. I know I want more children in about 5-7 years but my skin is so lose now and no matter what I do stays the same. I know I am young but I don't want to be uncomfortable in my own skin for another 5-7 years. Am I a good candidate for surgery? Is it common for women to have 2 tummy tucks.

Tummy tuck

+1

From your photos, it does appear that you are an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck.  It sounds like you are quite a ways off from having a second pregnancy, and who knows, you may decide not to have any more children.  I think you could proceed with a tummy tuck and get a good result.  Just be aware that if you do get pregnant again, you may need the tummy tuck redone.

Have a tummy tuck after your children

+1

This is not an uncommon question that I get asked at the office in my own practice. Having a tummy tuck or abdominoplasty at the age of 23 is definitely on the young side and therefore somewhat uncommon, but not absolutely out of the question. Your photo does reveal many of the typical signs that women complain of when considering this type of elective surgery. It looks like you have redundant, overstretched skin with associated disproportionate fat collections of the anterior abdomen and waistline. I can't tell from the photo, but I'm guessing that you also have abdominal fascia that has been stretched out. So the main considerations for hesitating are your age and your desire to have more children. I believe you should strongly consider waiting until you are certain that you are not planning on having any more children. If you are still highly motivated to fix your abdomen and want more children in the future, then there are some compromising alternatives that you should consider. You might consider liposuction and some nonsurgical skin tightening procedures or even a modified tummy tuck where a muscle-fascia repair is not performed. These procedures will probably not give you the final contour that a full abdominoplasty will, but you might get some significant improvement. This is a big decision and you should  definitely discuss this with a well qualified Plastic Surgeon. Good Luck!

Michael A. Epstein, MD

Tummy Tuck at 22?

+1

Yes, you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck now. You can still have more children but will need a re-do afterwards. Everything we do comes in a small, medium and large version priced accordingly. The mini tummy tuck is $3327 and the medium which would be best for you is $5346 at lake Tahoe Plastic Surgery. Many patients continue to lose weight after a tum,my tuck because of the psychological boost it gives you. We have a 35 year perfect safety record and the lowest prices for a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in a JCAHO certified facility.

Lawrence Foster MD,FACS,FICS 

Lawrence Foster, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Before Further Pregnancies?

+1

Thanks for your question and especially for enclosing a good quality photo. It's easy to understand why a young woman wants to have a young looking tummy. Your photo looks like you would be an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck and should anticipate great results. Just be sure you go to a surgeon that keeps the scar extremely low so you can wear the type of sports and swimwear you like. Make sure you see photos of the doctors patients after surgery.

I think you are well aware that patients can have normal pregnancies after a tummy tuck, but you may need to have some of the skin retightened after you are done having your family.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Tummy tuck is usually done after your are finished having babies

+1

This is a very interesting question.  It is difficult to be uncomfortable in your body for years while waiting to be finished having babies.  The basic medical guideline is to say "no tummy tuck if you are planning further pregnancies."  However, there is an art to the practice of medicine too which involves working with individual patients and their needs.  Wheat we do know is that women who become pregnant after tummy tuck do go on to have normal pregnancies, deliveries and healthy babies.  But they often do stretch out again too.  So, you would need to find a surgeon who is comfortable with this approach, with whom you are comfortable too and assess all the pros and cons of waiting versus not.  This is a surgery that must be carefully weighed and considered in this setting, but is not unheard of.  Good luck

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Is Tummy Tuck indicated if next pregnancy is years away?

+1

Mommy Makeover - Best Timing - This depends greatly on a number of items, But the answer is that if you really can't stand your appearance and it can not be improved with weight loss and exercise and you realize that you will probably need a tummy tuck revision after your last pregnancy and accept the extra expense and another surgery, then you would be a reasonable candidate. It comes down to informed consent. ( a lot of "ands" to consider.

It is all about risk vs benefit, pros and cons and not about your age. You need to realize that many of the reasons that have resulted in you considering a Mommy Makeover will probably reoccur after your next pregnancy - if that happens. The benefits are obvious - better looking breasts and tummy but you also have to consider the probable risks - two surgeries with their inherent risk, two recovery times, and two costs of surgeries among other factors.
This is why most surgeons recommend that the Mommy Makeover occurs after the last pregnancy

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Tummy Tuck Before Further Pregnancies?

+1

Thank you for the question had picture.

Based on the picture and your description of weight loss,  that you may be an excellent candidate for tummy tuck surgery. Your desire to have the procedure done now is understandable. Depending on the weight gain/loss,  changes in skin elasticity,  genetics etc.  revisionary surgery may be necessary after the pregnancy. This is a situation where only time will tell.

Generally, patients are able to have normal pregnancies after tummy tuck surgery. However, I have heard anecdotally from patients and OB/GYN physicians that the abdominal wall can be very tight and that some OB/GYN's recommend earlier delivery if possible. Check with your own OB/GYN for his/her experience in this situation.