Am I a good candidate for a tummy tuck? Prices New York Area? (photo)

Hello. I am 24 years old and considering getting a tummy tuck with liposuction. I would like to have a more hourglass shape and get rid of my belly. I am 5'5 and 185 lbs. I have been stable at this weight for a year now, but would like to loose some more before surgery. I have not had children, but would like to eventually, just not in the near future. Am I a good candidate for surgery? Additionally, what is the average cost for this type of surgery?

Am I a good candidate for a tummy tuck?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures. Based on your history and photographs, you may be an excellent candidate for tummy tuck surgery at some point.  Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight. Costs of surgery will vary from one practice to another and from one geographic area to another as well. You'll find some average costs of surgery listed on this website and on individual plastic surgeons' websites as well. Since you considering undergoing a major operation which often involves a significant physical and emotional recovery ( often underestimated by surgeons and patients alike), a few words of advice may be helpful:

1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself) and that you have realistic expectations. Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life situation. You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.
2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.
3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.
4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.

5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina of your caretakers.
6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.
7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.
8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).
9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience.
10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.
11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

Tummy tuck

+1

If you have maximized your weight loss then you are a candidate for the tummy tuck. Some patients go on to lose even more weight after the surgery and have an even better result

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Am I a good candidate for a TT?

+1

In my practice you would not be a "GOOD", candidate for an abdominoplasty. Not being at the appropriate weight, and being of childbearing age, as well as wanting kids of your own would rule you out as a good candidate for TT. Remember, this is a forum where I answer your question from the perspective of how I would answer your question if you presented to me as my patient. There is no substitute for a hands on assessment and decision as regards surgery. Your photos and your question could have more than one good and appropriate answer. I reiterate, a face to face assessment, patient and surgeon, is necessary

James R. Benjamin, MD
Bowie Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck candidate

+1

It is wise to lose weight before the surgery but you can certainly do the research now. Without seeing you, it is difficult to say whether you are a candidate for both a tummy tuck and lipo or just need the lipo right now. These are individualized operations and the fees will honestly vary depending on the amount of work necessary and length of the procedure. Please feel free to call to schedule a complimentary consultation. Happy Thanksgiving! Dr K

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Candidate for TT?

+1

Hello and thank you for your question.

It is highly recommended that you be at your ideal weight to have an optimum result. After you have reached your ideal weight, I recommend that you see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to get more specific answers to your questions which can best be addressed after a thorough history and examination is performed.

Best of luck to you

David Cangello, MD

High BMI

+1

your BMI is 32 -- you need to lose about 20 pounds before you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck. If you had one now, the result would be less than ideal.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Am I a good candidate for a tummy tuck? Prices New York Area?

+1

Although a physical exam would be better, I think that you will get your best result with tummy tuck and liposuction.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tuck procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Considering a Tummy Tuck

+1

Thank you for your question and photos. A personal exam and consultation is always best.

That said it is very important to be at your ideal weight for several months before undergoing a tummy tuck. Your results will not be as good if you are not at a stable and ideal weight.

It is important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who can examine you and answer your questions. Your surgeon can explain the pros and cons of having a tummy tuck before having children. Also, surgical fees are something that can vary so, again, that is something to discuss at the time of your consultation.

It is imperative to enlist a board certified plastic surgeon to perform your surgery. Although you may see "bargains" be wary as you may not be dealing with someone who has the high standards and extensive experience as a board certified plastic surgeon.

Please read the link below which describes the various tummy tuck procedures.

Be sure to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experienced in your procedure, and who has an excellent reputation in your community.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Lipoabdominoplasty is your answer

+1

Combination of abdominal, waist and back liposuction and abdominoiplasty should be goog on you for having more curves, better body shape. Price should be from 4,000 to 5,000 dollars, including medical fee, anesthesia, one garment, lab test.

Alejandro Hernandez Pizzoglio, MD