Age 24, 5ft9, 220lbs: Am I a Good Candidate for a Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I am 24 years old. 5'9 220 lbs. I do not desire to be skinny, just to get rid of my disproportionately large abdominal apron. Dr. Youn of Troy, MI told me I need to lose about 30 more pounds when I still had clothes on, and then when he saw it he said I am a good candidate for abdominalplasty. It left me confused. Would you do surgery on me currently or make me lose weight first? I am aware that I am overweight but the only thing that bothers me is my stomach.

Lose weight first for the best tummy tuck result

+2

Thank you for your question and photographs. You will definitely get a better tummy tuck result after further weight loss. Having excess abdominal fat at the time of tummy tuck makes it very difficult to tighten your tummy skin. In addition if you lose weight after a tummy tuck the skin will sag more. Continue with your weight loss program until you are closer to your ideal body weight and you will have a much better result.

Abdominoplasty in overweight individuals.

+2

A lot of thought goes into deciding when to undergo tummy tuck.  I have even advised family members to lose weight first and in most people that is not possible.  If you have been stable with your weight and understand that you are gonna have a great result but not going to have a skinny waist then you are ready for it.  I have to warn you though, there are higher complications when one is still significantly overweight.

N. Bill Aydin, MD
New Jersey Plastic Surgeon

Abdominalplasty

+2

Yes, you are a candidate for abdominalplasty.  Your question about weight loss first is an often asked question.  If you can truely loose 30 lbs first that is ideal.  However, if not an impressive resutl is still to be had.  Good luck to you and your decision.

Rodger Wade Pielet, MD (in memoriam)

Tummy Tuck for Overweight People

+1

Future TT Candidate

Women and men who have excess skin with or without excess fat around the

abdomen, tummy, which does not respond to diet and exercise and have a stable weight

are candidates for abdominoplasty. Most important is the loose redundant skin rather

than specific weight with some exceptions. In addtion, many patients complainthat they

cannot flatten their abdominal muscles through exercise alone, which also means a tummy

tuck may be right for them. It is hard to argue with your plastic surgeon who is

recommending reasonable advice for you to look your best if you are able to lose and

maintain a lesser weight.

Judging by your photos I would recommend that you lose some weight and wait until it

stabilizes before considering a tummy tuck. The procedure is meant for contouring of your

abdomen with removal of redundant skin, not weight loss.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Flat tummy

+1

Dear nursefuller,

From the information that you provided, your BMI is 32. This means that you are significantly over weight since the healthy BMI is 25. From your pictures , you have both skin and muscle laxity.  Based on the above written, you are a very good candidate for abdominoplasty for the following reasons : your stomach will be will be flat as you desire, the skin will be tighter and younger looking and finally, there a very good chance that you will lose a significant amount of weight due to the muscle tightening. I have few patients who lost 30 lbs in one month after surgery and other who lost even more over a longer period of time after surgery. Sure it is good to lose weight before surger, but it is quite difficult. So , consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon and I am sure that you will be happy with the outcome.

Good luck,

Dr Widder

Shlomo Widder, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+1

Although you may be an excellent candidate for tummy tuck surgery at some point, you will be better served having the procedure performed when you have achieved a long-term stable weight. Performing the surgery when you are overweight will increase your perioperative morbidity and increase the chances that further surgery will be necessary in the future.

Am I a Good Candidate for a Tummy Tuck?

+1

Yes, you are a candidate for a tummy tuck, but not a good candidate in that you can get rid of the extra skin and some of the fat under it, but you will not get a flat tummy. To do that you would need to lose about 30# or so. If you are willing to accept the limitations in getting an OK but not great result, I think that is your choice.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Will you lose weight before a tummy tuck?

+1

You may not wish to be skinny, but a lower BMI would help you look better, and improve your health. Photos show a fold or pannus and you are a candidate for a tummy tuck. The result can be good, though how good will depend on the weight loss effort you put into it.

As thicker and oveerweight patients as higher complications rate/mientras mas sobrepeso tenga la paciente mayor complicaciones

+1

very respectuosouly adress  to you, if  you think than with this TT, you are going  to loose some  excessive overweight, you are wrong , you are going to loose seizes. it is  sage your  doctor to council than you are not  ready for it, you should loose  at least 20 pounds better. in order  the results improves and possible  complications lessen, you  would need both procedures at same time an excellent lypo plus  a complete TT

me dirijo muy respetuosamente a ud, para decirle que si con el TT va a perder unas libras, esta muy equivocada, solo perdera medidas, es muy  sabio el consejo que le dio su medico de que no operarse ahora, ud  deberia de perder no menos de 25 libras para poder programarse para resultados fabulosos y disminuir las posibles complicaciones   con el peso actual, cuando ud. se halla ganado la cirugia se podra   realizar un TT mas una lypo al mismo tiempo

Ramon Navarro, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon