Would like to straighten nose, smooth hump, shorten tip, and decrease nostril size. Please advise on pain and recovery. (photo)

I am wondering if I am a good candidate for rhinoplasty. I would like to have my nose straightened, hump smoothed down, tip shorter, and nostrils smaller. I would also like to get an idea of how bad the pain would be (low, moderate, severe) and how long recovery time would be. Judging on the pictures, and keeping in mind that I don't completely hate my nose, do you think that having this procedure would be worth the pain and expense?

Candidacy for rhinoplasty is more than skin deep

+2

Dear Penny123456-

Thanks for the question. As a busy rhinoplasty surgeon with over a decade in practice, I get this one a lot. I think the answer to it is that candidacy for rhinoplasty is based on more than just the shape of the nose.

To determine whether or not it is right for you, first you'd need to be evaluated in person. Your photos show a lot, but your nasal anatomy may seem different in person. Is there a high septal deviation? How long are your nasal bones? Do you have subtle asymmetries that are more apparent in person? How thick is your nasal skin? All of these can only be determined in the office by an experienced surgeon.

Most importantly, however, you need to discuss your plan in person with someone who can help you determine what the pros/cons are of the specific changes you've requested. I find that computer simulations are a powerful communication tool. To be clear, these are not a marketing tool and in no way guarantee results. However, it allows you and the surgeon to communicate to each other exactly what (A) you would like and (B) what the surgeon things is feasible. It may be that what you want is not possible--better to find out before surgery!

Once you've done all this, it is possible for you to make an informed decision regarding whether or not rhinoplasty is right for you. While the internet is full of information, a decision as important as this can only be made with careful consideration and advice from an experienced, well-intentioned rhinoplasty surgeon.

I hope this helps you and any others who read this who are considering rhinoplasty.
Dr. Most

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for Rhinoplasty

+2

From your photos and the issues you would like to be addressed, I believe you would be a good candidate for a rhinoplasty. Your rhinoplasty could be performed under general anesthesia or sedation, and a long acting local anesthetic can be used to minimize post operative discomfort. Most patients describe the pain as low and usually only require pain medications for a few days after the procedure. A splint will be used for approximately one week, to protect the nasal bones and to help minimize post op swelling. Any bruising usually will resolve in 7 to 14 days. I instruct my patients to avoid wearing glasses or participating in contact sports for six weeks following the surgery. Ask your surgeon to see pre and post op photos of their rhinoplasty patients. This will help you determine if a rhinoplasty would be worth the pain and expense in your case. Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Is rhinoplasty worth it?

+2

thank you for the question Penny

I think you are an okay candidate for rhinoplasty. In general it looks like a pretty nice nose with a lot of features that many patients would like to have. There is a little bit of prominence of the tip from the front view based on this photograph and the columella shows a little bit generously. Overall U really have to decide for herself whether or not it is worth the expense. The postoperative period often times is not particularly painful.

I do think that your nose and face may be slightly better balanced if the chin and anterior mandible were augmented just a bit.

Hopefully that was helpful. Many of the changes that may be positive in her nose are fairly small and smaller more subtle changes or actually a little more difficult to deliver and larger ones. So you would want to find a good board certified facial plastic surgeon with lots of evidence in photographs showing what a nice job they have done in the past.

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Am I a good candidate for rhinoplasty?

+2

I think all of these things can be achieved with a rhinoplasty. The recovery is not very painful according to patients.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of rhinoplasties and rhinoplasty revisions each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Am I A Candidate For a Rhinoplasty?

+2

You are right on target with your thoughts on Rhinoplasty. Yes, you are an excellent candidate. In general, the severity of pain is low. Patients usually take off 1 to 2 weeks from work for recovery. Rhinoplasty takes weeks to months for total recovery in regards to contact sports, some swelling, and tenderness. Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who performs lots of Rhinoplasty surgeries a year for a complete evaluation, and to discuss your concerns and expectations.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Rhinoplasty Candidate #nosejob

+1

I do not see any pictures but some general comments for you. Anyone is a candidate for Rhinoplasty. Change can be made to any nose. This is 100% desire on the patients part. All the things you list are possible to do in a nose. I can not speak to you because I do not see any pictures associated with your post. Pain is patient dependent. I had little pain after my Rhinoplasty, but many people have a lot of pain for the first week. It does depend on how much has to be done and if the bones need to be manipulated at all. My advice to you is to find a board certified surgeon who specializes in Rhinoplasty or has a passion of it like I do. You need to be able to clearly communicate your goals to the surgeon. Interview as many as it takes until you have found the right person.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Excellent Rhinoplasty Candidate

+1

Thank you for the question and the photos. You are starting from a good place -- your nose is symmetric and appropriate in size. I think what you are seeing is that the tip is slightly bulbous and the columella (the part between your nostrils) hangs down. This makes the nostrils look big. Lastly, you have a small hump. Addressing these issues would be relatively straightforward. In terms of pain, most patients experience some discomfort for 24-36 hours. After this, pain is not an issue for the majority of people. In terms of whether or not the procedure is worth it, this is a really personal decision. You have to weigh the aesthetic improvements with the time and money spent to achieve the change. To achieve great results, it really helps to be mentally prepared for the procedure. Best of luck moving forward!

#San Francisco Rhinoplasty

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty for a prettier nose.

+1

All the things u mentioned can be done plus removing your hanging columella. At the end of surgery I block the nose with a long acting anesthetic and many patients do not take any pain Meds.

Am I a good candidate for Rhinoplasty?

+1

In general, if there is something about your nose that bothers you, and the surgeon can see the concern and can do something to improve it. Many patients who undergo nose surgery do not actually hate their noses, but are looking for improvement. You seem to fall into that category. Based on what I am seeing, you are a good candidate. Take the time to go to an in person examination with a board certified surgeon who is experienced in nose surgery. It is well worth your time to get answers to your specific questions and then see if you wish to further consider the option of surgery. RB

Ramin Behmand, MD

Am I a Good Candidate for Rhinoplasty?

+1

Only you can decide if the appropriate changes you describe are worth the time and money. Pain is not severe; my patients typically take heavier pain medication for the first 24-36 hours. You will feel comfortable among friends and colleagues 7-10 days after surgery.