Am I a good candidate for a Rhinoplasty under local anesthesia with IV sedation?

I'm 19 year old and I have been thinking about fixing my nose for the last couple of years. The tip of nose is very round, as well as wide. When I smile, the tip curves down and my whole nose looks wider. I have no broken bones, so basically it is all fat. Can i fix it without having to be put under general anesthesia?

Rhinoplasty and Anesthesia

+2

Your question makes me assume you have some concerns about general anesthesia.  The vast majority of rhinoplasty procedures around the world are performed under general anesthesia for a reason: it's safer than sedation anesthesia. 

To discuss the reasons why this is true would require some time, but it has to do with ensuring your ability to breath safely.  This issue is something that should be discussed with a surgeon during a consultation.

Rhinoplasty performed under general anesthesia

+1
In our practice, we perform rhinoplasty surgery under general anesthesia, not local anesthesia for patient safety and comfort. It is very important to maintain an airway during the rhinoplasty procedure to prevent blood from going down into the trachea. Most patients do not wish to have conscious awareness of their nose bones being broken with local anesthesia and sedation.
For many examples of rhinoplasty, please see the link below

Rhinoplasty

+1
Giving advice on rhinoplasty is difficult without photos.  Some rhinoplasties can be performed under local anesthesia depending on what is involved with the procedure.  I perform many rhinoplasties under local anesthesia but combined with deep sedation.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Rhinoplasty Candidate

+1
Dear Karolina, Rhinoplasty surgery is most often performed with general anesthesia which allows the patients airway to be protected throughout the procedure. In this day and age the medications used during general anesthesia are quick acting, safe and you wake up feeling relaxed and rested. When you go to a surgeons office for consultation I am sure they will allow you to speak with your anesthesiologist who will be happy to explain the sedation process and it's safety factors. Using digital imaging during consultation will be able to help you see your proposed surgical results. This helps make sure you and your surgeon are on the same page and then he/she can discuss with you the surgical plan to achieve  the desired outcome. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Am I a good candidate for a Rhinoplasty

+1
Dear karol, thank you for your question.Rhinoplasty is a popular procedure that can dramatically change one's appearance. In our San Diego practice we perform computer imaging to determine what may be possible in your case. Actual before and after photos are a good way to evaluate your surgeon.Good Luck!

Roy A. David, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1
From a safety standpoint, the anesthsiologists will tell you that local with IV sedation in a procedure like this carries either the same or slightly more risk to you as a patient for a safe anesthesia outcome as does a general anesthesia. The anesthesiologist will have more control of your airway during and after the surgery with a general anesthetic. This is elective surgery and safety ALWAYS comes first. So technically, you may be a candidate for local with IV sedation, it may not be the best choice for you. I recommend talking to your surgeon and if you still have concerns, talk to the anesthesia providers who will be with you for the surgery.

Eric Desman, MD
Alexandria Plastic Surgeon

Cutting corners with rhinoplasty

+1
Rhinoplasty is like your favorite most expensive dress:  Think long and hard about having it altered.  But if altering it will make you look better then you want to find the best "tailor" or rhinoplasty surgeon and hopefully do it once.  The first operation like the first "sizing for the dress" is the most crucial.  Never, never cut corners with rhinoplasty, you will regret it forever.  Do it once, find the best surgeon, and as you probably know:  only a board certified plastic surgeon with nose expertise

Jeffrey Ditesheim, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

+1
Rhinoplasty can be performed with local anesthesia and IV sedation or a general anesthetic.  Most patients will be more comfortable with a general anesthetic if the rhinoplasty involves grafts and if the surgery will be more lengthy.  The procedure should be performed in an accredited surgery center and after you've had a complete medical evaluation.

Timothy R. Miller, MD

Rhinoplasty With Local Anesthesia & IV Sedation

+1
You can have a rhinoplasty with IV Sedation but you should understand that this is a form of general anesthesia. When our committee, working with the state of California,  set up regulations for outpatient surgery center licensing this type of anesthesia was included under general anesthesia. This is more of a marketing term than a true description of the technique.

Gen. versus local anesthesia with IV sedation for rhinoplasty

+1
  • Rhinoplasty can be performed under local anesthesia with IV sedation or a general anesthesia safely and effectively. I believe it depends on the patient and doctor's comfort level under either general or IV sedation. This is best discussed with your surgeon. Together you can decide on which would be most appropriate for you. I have done many rhinoplasty is under a local with IV sedation with minimal problems.

William G. Hart Jr., MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon