Am I a Good Candidate for Rhinoplasty (Alar Base Reduction)? (photo)

Every once in a while, I would hate my nose. I would use those silly little nose-clips every night hoping that it would get sharper. The problem with my nose is that it is tall and wide. I don't mind the height of my nose, but the width always make me depressed. I am aware that Asians tend to have wide nostrils, but from what I have observed in the Asian population, my nose is way too wide and bulbous. I wanted an narrower and more defined nose. Would I be a good candidate for Rhinoplasty?

Alar narrowing

+2

You have a nice profile. I would use internal buried sutures with ligament release to narrow your nostrils without leaving undo external scars. The bridge is acceptable, but you may consider raising it slightly to give it better balance with your tip, which is well projected.

To complete the profile, a chin implant or sliding genioplasty with give an overall better balance. 

Alar base reduction in Asians

+2

Morning,

You are a candidate for alar base reduction based on your photo but things may be different when you are examined by a board certifited facial plastic surgeon.  In my opinion your nasal width and tip could be refined a bit but I'd be conservative.  What you're looking for could be performed under local anesthesia with the incisions on the inside.

Best of luck

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Good candidates for Asian rhinoplasty

+2

You are a good candidate for rhinoplasty if you understand the changes you would like, and your surgeon feels the result is achievalbe and appropriate. Seems obvious, though all Asian noses are alike or require the same approach. Work with a board certified surgeon, and computer simulations can help sort things out.

Rhinoplasty for the Asian nose.

+2

Rhinoplasty for the Asian nose involves the items you mentioned, defining the tip narrowing the bas and the nasal bones to give a more harmonious nose.

Asian Rhinoplasty / Alar Base Reduction

+2

With Asians and other ethnic groups, the width of your nose may be even more prominent when you smile, as the nostrils tend to flare out.  The width of your nose can be made narrower with an alar base reduction.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can better assist you in achieving the results you desire.

Kimberly Lee, MD

Alar base reduction during Asian rhinoplasty

+1

A base view would help in assessing your need for alar base reduction.  Better balance could be achieved with some tip refinement and raising your bridge slightly.  

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Am I a Good Candidate For Rhinoplasty Surgery?

+1

Everything you critique can be improved with rhinoplasty surgery. Select a surgeon with experience in Asian noses because there are subtle differences in the nasal anatomy. You are an excellent candidate.