Am I a good candidate for Restylane or Juvederm Fillers? (photos)

Hi, I'm an 18 years old female, and I have bad hereditary dark circles under my eyes from hollowness. I have wanted to do something to fix them but have been hesitant given that I am young and afraid that something will go wrong, or it won't change much. I have spent so much money on makeup to cover it, but it doesn't seem to do the trick for me. Am I a good candidate for this procedure?

18 years old is too young

+1
I would not recommend filler to any one as young as you.

I would recommend you discuss with a Board Certified Dermatologist with expertise with Restylane for additional advice.

West Palm Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Fillers Under Eyes

+1
Hi there, and thanks for your question. Injectable fillers are the one thing I treat regularly in younger adults and late teens. This is a genetic problem that won’t go away with time and is hard to cover up. The under the eye area is considered a master level injection technique so I would only recommend having a reversible hyaluronic acid placed in that area injected by an experienced injector. With some of the new fillers you can actually strategically inject on the lateral cheek with over 50% correction under the eye. It is a beautiful look and our patients are most grateful for losing the tired look. The great news is under eye correction seems to last a very long time and we see results lasting over 3-5 years with a touch up down the road. As noted by your photo we frequently see more dark circles in patients with dark hair and/or dark eyes. Good luck!

Jody Comstock, MD
Tucson Dermatologic Surgeon

Dark Circles under the Eyes

+1
Dark Circles under the eyes are sometimes difficult to conceal.  You do not seem like a candidate for filler under the eyes.  I suggest you consult an experienced make-up artist to find the best combination of makeup for you to use.

Michele S. Green, MD

No

+1
Looking at your photo I do no think that you need either product. You are asking for trouble if you do

Vicki J. Levine, MD

Fillers for dark circles?

+1
Only Restylane and should never be used beneath the lower eyelid and it should only be done by a very experienced plastic surgeon who does this procedure frequently.  Based on your photo I do see a depression beneath your lower eyelid near the nose.  This is most likely caused by either a depression in the bone or lack of normal fat.  Open fat grafting is the most successful technique for this problem in my experience.

However you must be aware that it is very difficult to keep a fat graft in place so close to the corner of your eye.  The dark purple depression close to the nose and directly beneath the corner of the eye will not likely hold a fat graft.

Please consult only board certified plastic surgeon who is very experienced an oculoplastic techniques and who has experience with filler injections to the lower eyelid.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Lower lid dark circles

+1
I would definitely not recommend that you recieve Juvederm or Restylane to this lower lid/cheek junction. These products are not recommended to be used in this region. The photos are not showing a problem as significantly as you describe, therefore I'm not enthusiastic about you getting anything done. However you could consider a micro fat transfer procedure to this area. Visit a qualified Plastic Surgeon in you area to recieve a detailed examination and recommendation.

Jeffrey K. Scott, MD
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon