Am I a good candidate for restylane? (Photo)

I have had dark circles under my eyes all my life. Mostly from severe hyperpigmentation. I had restylane injections into my tear troughs approximately 6 months ago but didn't get much result. To be honest, I don't think my injector had a lot of experience with trough injections. Would trying someone else help or am I wasting my money? Thanks,

Dark Circles under the Eyes and Tear Troughs

+1
The dark circles under your eyes cannot be corrected with fillers.  The hollow in the tear troughs can be injected with fillers such as Restylane to improve its appearance.  Combinations of topical creams such as Retin-A and hydroquinones and other active ingredients can help decrease the pigmentation under the eyes.  

Am I a good candidate for restylane?

+1
Based on the photos provided I think you would get a great result using Restylane for the tear troughs, this will help eliminate under eye darkness if the hollowness has created a shadow. I suggest you seek a reputable board certified physician for an in-person evaluation

Fillers Can Reduce Dark Circles Under the Eyes

+1
There are multiple causes of dark circles under the eyes. Heredity plays a big part. Dark skin pigmentation, prominent blood vessels, thin transparent skin, crepey skin surface, swelling, and deep tear troughs can contribute the problem.

Fillers can help reduce the darkness if it is due to deep tear troughs, thin skin or a crepey surface. Bleaching creams, like hydroquinone, can reduce the intensity of the pigmentation and lighten the skin. Thin skin may thicken and become more opaque in response to laser resurfacing, intense pulsed light, or tretinoin. Swelling may respond to steroid cream or diuretics. When there are multiple causes, treating only one of the causes with a filler may help, but it may not improve the appearance adequately.

Kevin L. McBride, DDS
Dallas Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Fillers Maybe an Options for Your Dark Circles

+1
Dark circles can be secondary to a variety of issues including:
1)  Darkening of the skin
2)  Hollowness in the tear trough
3)  Bulging of the lower eyelid fat

Filler in the tear trough improve the dark circles near the eye by filling in a depressed area.  An area of depression creates a shadow that contributes to the darkness.  By filling in the area, light is brought into the area and can improve the dark circles.  

Fillers will not lighten the color of the skin.  If the circles are only due to a pigmentary issue then fillers would not be helpful.  

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon