Am I a Good Candidate for a Neck Lift and Or/chin Implant? (photo)

I am a 28 year old female with no definition between my chin and neck. I could probably lose about 25-30 pounds, but I have noticed this trait even when weighing that much less. It's also genetic; I notice it in my relatives. If not a neck lift and/or chin implant, is there another procedure that would solve this problem? Thank you.

NECK LIFT AND OR/CHIN IMPLANT?

+2

If you lose those extra pounds that you mentioned, you might be surprised with the improved definition of your neck.  At that point you may only need a little liposuction of the neck region.  

Neck lift not the only answer

+2

Achieving your desirable weight will be important in achieving a desirable neck contour. It is too aggressive to consider neck lift at this point because significant contour benefits can be achieved with minimally invasive liposuction and additional tightening of the underlying musculature can be achieved with internal suspension or sometimes referred to as "waddle" neck procedure.

Surgery should only be considered when the desired result cannot be achieved with lifestyle modification, and than choose the less invasive procedure that can address your concern.

Neck lift at 28 may be more surgery and associated scars than  you really need

Julian Henley, MD
Greeley Facial Plastic Surgeon

Necklift or chin implant for definition of neck.

+2

Necklift or chin implant for definition of neck is a good question and the answer for you is neither. Spend the money on Jenny, etc. and shed the weight first to get the best result and you probably won't need surgery.

Necklift at 28?

+1
As other posters have noted, the best approach at age 28 is to see what kind of improvement you will have with weight loss.  Surgery may be a consideration in the future, but I would prefer that you consider other options first.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Weight Management Prior to Cosmetic Surgery

+1

Before electing for cosmetic surgery of your face or neck, I would encourage you to focus on weight loss first. You may find enough change that you won't need a cosmetic procedure. At that point you can make a better decision upon seeing a qualified surgeon in your area.

Amiya Prasad, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Neck Liposuction

+1

I would recommend focusing on achieving the best possible weight that you can.  Thereafter, you may only need neck liposuction.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Decision for necklift is made when patient is at ideal body weight

+1

It is always best to be at your ideal body weight prior to deciding whether undergoing a neck lift or neck liposuction is needed.  A neck lift is a comprehensive sculpting and defatting of the neck with a platysmaplasty.  A retrusive chin is best treated with a chin implant and can be done irrespective of weight gain or loss.

Liposuction of the neck without or with a chin implant can dramatically improve the neckline

+1

First off, if you feel that you're overweight and are committed to losing the 25-30 pounds you'll be much better served by focusing on this prior to considering any sort of facial implant or other surgical procedure. You'll feel better, look better, live longer and (best case scenario) be happy enough with your neckline that you will no longer be interested in changing it surgically. In that case, you can put your hard earned money to use in other ways. If you get to a stable goal body weight and are still unhappy with your neckline definition then liposuction is often all that is needed to improve things. This is a minimally invasive procedure that can be performed safely under local or with sedation/ twilight anesthesia. To determine whether you could benefit from a chin implant, you would require an in person consultation but I don't get that sense from the limited photos you've provided. If you arrive at that point, seek a board certified Facial Plastic Surgeon or Plastic Surgeon for a consultation.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Am I a Good Candidate for a Neck Lift and Or/chin Implant?

+1

Aesthetically, to measure the chin, a straight profile view is required.  An imaginary vertical line is extended down from the lower lip and in men...the chin should hit this line.  In women, the chin should be approximately 3/8's of an inch behind that line to be balanced with the lower face.

The excess fat from the face and neck, if not lost with weight reduction, could be removed with micro-liposuction and at 26 years old, the skin should shrink and not require a Neck Lift IMHO.  The key to proper aesthetic evaluation, IMO, is a thorough understanding and ability to follow the proper aesthetics of facial beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive face.

Liposuction of the neck works.

+1

Hi.

Of course you need a thorough exam of your neck, but from the photos, it looks like liposuction is all you need.  You certainly don't need a chin implant.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)