Am I a Good Candidate for a Mommy Makeover? (photo)

I am a 32 year old mother of 5 (3 single births and a set of twins. I am 5'8" 207 lbs. I have tried diet and exercise only to lose and gain the same 10-15 lbs. I know it works because I have the energy and feel my pants loosen but I can't see any real changes. I am at my wits end. Also I am considering breast augmentation nothing too big just a subtle change in size and perkiness. Lastly I am hoping to get rid of these horrid love handles. Thanks for any advice or suggestions!

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

A candidate in progress for mommy makeover.

+3

Thanks for your questions and your photographs. 

It's clear from the photographs that when the time is appropriate for you you'll be an excellent candidate for multiple procedures that are part of mommy makeover.  The current photographs show a person who will likely be a good candidate for tummy tuck, some liposuction, and breast enhancement whether it be with breast implants or breast lift or both.

You seem to be struggling with your weight loss, but I would recommend that you continue it until you achieve your goal.  You always want to be as healthy as you can reasonably be before you undergo cosmetic plasticsurgery.  It may be discouraging at times because as you continue to lose weight the areas of skin that concern you will actually get looser.

It is not always realistic for patient to become rail thin, but it is always best to be at what you consider a comfortable and healthy weight that you can maintain without starving yourself.

It is best to do this before your surgery.  Surgery is always safer on more slender individuals.  It is also important though that you reach a point of dietary maintenance before your surgery.  If you do not take into enough calories prior to your surgery you may have some difficulties healing.

I generally recommend that my patients consider surgery when they are within about 10 pounds of their goals.  If you have a beautiful tummy tuck and then you lose another 50 pounds you may actually need a second beautiful tummy tuck.  More slender patients tend to see a more long lasting result when the abdominal muscles are tightened.

Stay the course, continue with your diet and exercise and even seek medical guidance if you need help or evaluation for endocrine problems.  Your perseverance will pay off in the end when you have a safer and healthier surgery.

Best wishes on your continued success.

Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Mommy makeover candidates

+2

It appears as though you're an excellent candidate for a mommy makeover.  You'll most likely need a breast lift with implants and a full tummy tuck to help regain your figure.

Web reference: http://marylandcosmeticsurgeryinc.com/breast-3/breast-augmentation/

Am I a Good Candidate for a Mommy Makeover?

+2

Well, many Mommy Makeovers to include the procedures you describe, that of a breast augmentation, tummy tuck and liposuction. One should not use surgery as a method to lose weight though. From what I can see in your photos, liposuction could be done on your love handles, but there might be a little loose skin once healed. I think a breast augmentation could also be done, but your breasts are a little saggy already so you would be a little larger but still saggy. As to your abdomen, a tummy tuck performed with the apparent amount of intra-abdominal fat that you have will likely give some improvement but not a flat appearance. You need to weigh those limitations out with the costs and decide. Losing 25-50 pound would make a huge difference in what could be done and your eventual appearance after surgery.

Mommy Makeover

+2

Hi there-

It looks like you may be a great candidate for a Mommy Makeover, but the details and timing would depend a lot (in your case) on your in-person examination.

Alternatives to tummy tuck for you would include lower body lift and the possibility that you would be better off waiting to have the tummy tuck until after you lost some weight- the point is that without examining you it would be impossible to say, because sometimes in mothers the way things look in a photo is not how they feel on exam.

Your best bet is to find a surgeon you like and feel you can trust first, and discuss your goals and options with them after a careful examination. Make sure they are Certified by The American Board of Plastic Surgery, and that you prioritize appropriately (education, training, experience, skill, talent, and a history of ethical behavior are all more important to your safety and happiness than the price they give you or their willingness to say what you want to hear...)

Best of luck.

Web reference: http://www.MommyMakeoverOrlando.com

Mommy makeover?

+2

Your belly wall is really stretched out from your pregnancies. You have several folds along your sides and back. Not all of these will be able to be smoothed out at once. When you get your muscles tightened it is going to feel very tight and actually may make it difficult to take a deep breath. In order to help "get ready" for your tummy tuck I would suggest wearing a true corset for about 4-6 weeks before surgery, tightening it a little each day. You will do best with a circumferential tummy tuck. i would concentrate more on your tummy, waist and back at one time and leave your breasts for another day. Just my opinion.

Web reference: http://www.cosmeticsurgerybaltimore.com/html/tummytuck-procedure.html

Mommy Makeover Candidate?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Yes, at some point you will be an excellent candidate for mommy makeover surgery. You may benefit from breast augmentation/lifting, tummy tuck ( extended)  as well as back and flank liposuction surgery.

As you have mentioned, the hard part is getting down to your long-term stable weight prior to surgery. You may need to be seen by an internist to rule out medical reasons ( for example, hypothyroidism)  that you are not able to lose weight.  getting professional help from personal trainers and/or nutritionists may also prove helpful.

I would suggest that you see well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons and set a goal date for surgery  approximately 6 months from now;  this may motivate you to do what is necessary to prepare for the procedure.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_mommyMakeover.htm

Mommy Makeover

+2

The closer you are to your ideal body weight the better the results of surgery will be and the longer lasting. Also most importat the closer to your ideal body weight you are the safer the surgery and less complications.

You are a good candidate for tummy tuck, liposuction flanks and back, as well as the lateral chest . As for the breast, you may need a breast lift and breast implant.

Candidate for mommy makeover

+2

Thanks for the photos. It appear that you have excess weight in your abdomen. Additional weight loss will benefit you. I know its hard to loose weight. Please consider consulting a board certified physician who has a weight loss program to assist you in your journey. When you reach your weight loss goal, you will be a great candidate for both breast lift and tummy tuck. Liposuction of your back will help with the back problem area.

The best candidates for Mommy makeover are women who:

• are in good health.
  • are close to their ideal weight.
  • have distinct areas of localized fats.
  • have realistic expectations

Web reference: http://www.georgiaplastic.com/body-procedures-atlanta/mommy-makeover/

Mommy Makeover considerations

+1

You are a reasonable candidate for a Mommy Makeover, but you would be a better one if you could lose some more weight as you will both get a better result and have less risk from the surgery.  If it is not possible with diet, exercise then you can consider a Mommy Makeover.

Here is more about some of your surgical options -

Mommy Makeover Procedures-

Breast Augmentation:   Breast changes vary widely from patient to patient. There are many health and nurturing benefits of breast feeding, but these changes occur regardless of whether or not a woman chooses to breast feed.  Changes in a woman’s breasts following pregnancy should not influence her decision to breast feed.  After childbirth, when the mother is no longer lactating, the breast glands will shrink. Most often this leaves the breasts smaller especially in the upper portion and possibly with excess loose skin which causes the breasts to sag.  In this case, breast augmentation may allow the patient to achieve her desired breast shape and size.

Breast Lift: If there is too much loose skin and sagging, following pregnancy, then a breast lift is required.  This procedure essentially removes excess skin to tighten and lift the remaining skin and breast tissues. The incisions vary depending upon the amount of skin to be removed. Some women benefit from a combination of these two procedures called an “augmentation-mastopexy.” In a few women, breasts actually enlarge, especially if there is a post pregnancy weight gain, and a reduction and Mastopexy combination may be most appropriate.

Tummy Tuck or Abdominoplasty is an operation which can tighten the abdominal muscles, remove localized excess skin and fat.  Following pregnancy a woman can experience any of these conditions alone or in combination.  For example, your weight and body fat may be low, yet stretched, weak abdominal muscles may result in laxity and forward protrusion of the lower or entire abdomen.  In just about all women, following pregnancy the two midline rectus muscles separate, “diastasis recti”. This weakness tends to enlarge the waist in many women.  After pregnancy if your belly button has a bulge or sticks out, it may be due to an umbilical hernia.  Both of these conditions are corrected during a Tummy Tuck, which will bring in your waist line.  On the other hand if only a small amount of skin is redundant in the lower tummy you may only need a fairly simple “mini-tuck” rather than the more extensive standard Abdominoplasty – which corrects all the conditions noted above.

Umbilicoplasty or improving the belly button is an additional benefit of the tummy tuck as is removal of stretch marks of the lower abdomen. This can actually be done as a separate minor procedure if the belly button has been stretched or distorted by the pregnancy. An umbilical hernia can also be repaired at the same time.

Stretch marks, striae, which occur during pregnancy, can be improved in a variety of ways through various techniques.  A tummy tuck may surgically remove many of the skin changes. .

Liposuction is one of the most commonly requested cosmetic surgery procedure in the United States of America.  New mothers sometimes experience redistribution of their body fat. Localized fat collections in the tummy, hips, thighs, and upper arms (to name a few of the more common areas) are treated easily and with excellent results, with either standard or the ultrasonic liposuction or power assisted liposuction. When combined with a sensible diet and exercise program you can successfully work toward regaining your pre-pregnancy body contours and clothing size

Web reference: http://pacificcenterplasticsurgery.com/procedures/specialty-surgeries/surgery-following-pregnancy/

Mommy makeover

+1

I think that you should pursue diet and exercise before considering tummy tuck surgery.  Get a thorough checkup by your primary doctor and make sure that there are no underlying problems hindering your weight loss.  Also, if diet and exercise have limited effects you should consult with a bariatric surgeon to see if you are a candidate for a weight loss surgery.  Your breasts can be augmented and lifted, but you should lose any weight that you are going to prior to pursuing those surgeries.

Best regards,

Sanjiv Kayastha, MD

Web reference: http://www.kplasticsurgery.com

Albany Plastic Surgeon