Am I a Good Candidate for a Mini Tummy Tuck? Are My Expectations Realistic? (photo)

I have scheduled a Mini TT, Breast Lift with implants and Lipo. I have been doing a lot of research and now I'm nervous about the Mini TT. My belly isn't that bad to begin with so for that much money I am going to have high expectations. As you can see from the pictures I uploaded when I am standing tall there really isn't much of a problem. I have had four children though....so when I bend over it's a different story! Will a mini TT with lipo meet my expectations?

Mini abdominoplasty not a bad option.

+2

Based on your pictures you may be a good candidate for a mini tummy tuck. I find many patients like you can also benefit greatly from laser liposculpting (SmartLipo) to address adiposity (fat deposits) as well as skin tightening.

Mini Tummy Tuck

+2

Hello Ironworker,

I understand your concern about the mini tuck. As Dr. Laverson states, it's difficult to give you the green light without an exam or knowing you've been properly counseled regarding the risk/benefit profile.  It does appear that your muscular wall is flat and not in need of repair, and that's a good thing!  The appearance of your midsection in the upright position does not suggest an excess of fat in either your abdomen or waist/hips, so I am not sure where your doctor is going with his liposuction canula, and I would really want you to rediscuss that aspect with him again.  I see the very subtle laxity of skin when you bend over, and I might reflexively think to myself 'I can just tighten this skin up for her'.  However, If I were to entertain a mini tuck with you, my biggest concern that I'd share with you is how effective would this seemingly simple and small tuck be at tightening your skin so it 'didn't do that' anymore, and how long will it stay sufficiently tight.  To complicate matters, you would have a permanent scar.

Now that I've said all that, I think that a simple skin only mini tuck would probably be effective at tightening your skin in a satisfactory way, and the scar would be very, very low, and probably (but not definitely) inconspicuous.  You need to talk again with your doctor and maybe see some photos of his.  If you still don't feel sure, you don't burn any bridges putting off the tummy tuck part of your surgery.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Should I get mini tummy tuck? (photo)

+2

Even though you submit decent photos, it is difficult to offer meaningful advice, in my opinion, without personal examination.  You are in great shape, and considering four term pregnancies, your abdomen looks spectacular.  I stay away from abdomens such as yours, unless the patient is well aware of trade offs and potential problems associated with mini tummy tuck:  time off your exercise routine for recovery, scar (size and exact location may be difficult to predict), and possible need for later conversion to full tummy tuck.  if you are aware, and still can't live with the extra skin and lower abdominal tone, go for it.

Steve Laverson, MD

Candidate for a Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

I would question the necessity for a mini tummy tuck. While your second photograph does depict some laxity, I am not sure that it warrants the costs either physical or monetary of the surgery. To discuss your options, you may want to discuss in person with two or three more board certified plastic surgeons.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Mini Tummy Tuck or just Liposuction - that is the question

+1

As your upright photo shows good abdominal muscle tone, but bending over shows some redundant fat and skin you might be a candidate for a mini tummy tuck. However, I think because you appear to be young and therefore probably have some reasonable elasticity, I would simple do some liposuction using fine canulas and see how you do. You may be pleasantly surprised. If for any reason you still have some redundant skin you can do a skin only mini tummy tuck as an office procedure under local anesthesia. Hopefully that will not be necessary.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Mini or Full Tummy Tuck?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

If your expectations are to have a flat abdominal wall so that you can wear the same outfit that you are wearing in your pictures,  without abdominal wall laxity and/or loose skin then you should undergo full tummy tuck surgery.  In my opinion, you will likely be disappointed with the results of the mini tummy talk operation.

Make sure that you have communicated your goals and expectations with your plastic surgeon clearly.