Am I a good candidate for a mini tummy tuck or would I require a full tummy tuck to get rid of the apron? (photo)

I got my flat and defined abdomen back after my first child, however after a second child weighing nearly 9 lbs and a c section later-I'm left with this despite my clean eating and being in great shape physically....I'm thinking I'm not going to be able to get this back to normal on my own...please advise!

Tummy tuck

+2
You will have good results with either a full or mini tummy tuck but the full will provide you with the best long term result.

The mini tummy tuck operation is an operation that addresses the lower abdominal wall, below the umbilicus. The “full” tummy tuck operation involves treatment of the entire abdominal wall; this operation serves to remove excess skin, re approximate the abdominal wall muscles that may have spread with pregnancy and/or weight gain/loss, improve the appearance of the waistline and often pubic area as well

Tummy Tuck

+2

Based on the photos I believe you are an excellent candidate for full tummy tuck, I believe the results will be much better than a mini.  My advice is to contact a local plastic surgeon that specializes in tummy tuck procedure.  Good Luck

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Am I a good candidate for a mini tummy tuck or would I require a full tummy tuck to get rid of the apron?

+2

You may want to consider a full tummy tuck, which will remove about twice as much skin as well as allow tightening of the abdominal wall.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Candidate for a mini tummy tuck ...

+2

First of all thank you for the pictures.  You may be a candidate for a mini tummy tuck, however, a mini tummy tuck will not address any upper abdominal muscles concerns.  Most women after multiple pregnancies will have their upper abdominal muscles separate which is known as diastasis recti.  With a full tummy tuck this would correct this abdominal issue giving you a tighter abdominal wall. As always, I would recommend having a consult with a Board Certified Plastic surgeon to discuss which procedure would give you the results that you are looking for. Best of Luck!

Heather Rocheford, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Am I a good candidate for a mini tummy tuck?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures. Given your past pregnancy history, you should be proud of the appearance of your abdominal wall; it is like a required diligence with diet and exercise to achieve.

Although precise advice would necessitate in person consultation on a full communication of your goals, it is likely that you will do best with a full tummy tuck operation. In my opinion, the mini tummy tuck is an operation that produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck surgery present for revisionary surgery.

I hope this, and the attached link, help.

Mini vs Full Tummy Tuck

+1
The amount of excess skin typically determines the length of the incision required to remove that excess skin. As a general rule, a short incision only allows a small amount of skin removal. A longer incision and resulting scar (as in a full tummy tuck) will allow the surgeon to remove more skin and tighten the entire abdominal wall.  This is the important thing to consider when looking at this type of surgery. Don't compromise the results with a shorter scar if it won't deliver the results you want. A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with an expertise in tummy tucks and body contouring should be able to show you what you can expect. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck! Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon