Am I a Good Candidate for Liposuction? Or Should I Hold out for a Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I am 21 years old and recently had my little boy a few months back. I have lost a good amount of the weight but my weight loss has stalled even with exercise and eating well. Now I'm left with my baby belly and side fat. I'm hoping to get liposuction on my stomach and sides when I get my breast augmentation next month. I had lost about 60 pounds before I became pregnant and even at my lowest weight these were my trouble spots. Thank you!

Tummy tuck

+1

If you are planning to have more children, I would advise against a tummy tuck.  You would benefit from lipo, although a tummy tuck will provide you with a flatter abdomen.    at your,age, and particularly if you pan to,have more children,  Imwould recommend the lipo

Liposuction after having baby

+1

Congratulations on having your little boy!  Your photos look very good considering you've just had a baby, not to mention that you lost 60 pounds before getting pregnant!  Weight loss and pregnancy usually stretch the abdominal skin, but based on your photos, your skin looks pretty good.  I would advise you to wait at least 6 months after your pregnancy before making any decisions about liposuction or a tummy tuck.

At that point in time, you should visit with a board certified plastic surgeon who can help evaluate the amount of loose skin you have, and whether you'd be a good candidate for liposuction or a tummy tuck.

Congratulations again, and I wish you all the best!

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Am I a Good Candidate for Liposuction?

+1

Liposuction results rely on contraction of the skin to create a good contour. Pregnancy, weight loss, and most importantly, genetics determine your skin quality. Skin quality can only be assessed clinically. Yours looks pretty good in the picture, however. It also depends on your ultimate goal and aversion to the abdominoplasty incision.

Brett Edward Lehocky, MD
Bakersfield Plastic Surgeon

Post pregnancy and Tummy tuck vs Liposuction

+1

To properly answer your question of which option, liposuction or tummy tuck, would serve you best, a physical exam would be necessary.  Given your 60 lb. weight loss, a tummy tuck may better address loose skin and/or stretched abdominal muscles.  However, if you are planning to have more children, I would suggest you complete your family before having a full tummy tuck.  Depending on your skin  and muscle tone you may be able to consider a liposuction alone.  For further information seek out a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and who is a member of the American Society  of Plastic Surgeons and the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.  Best wishes. 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck is probably better, unless you plan on having more children in the future

+1

Judging from your photos, it appears that you have some loose skin in your abdominal area. This is common following massive weight loss and pregnancy, which you have both experienced. Even if you have stubborn fat deposits in the area, you may not be happy with the results of liposuction alone because the loose skin can still adversely affect your body contour, preventing you from having a flatter, toned stomach and more defined waistline. You may want to consider getting a tummy tuck for better results. In fact, a mini-abdominoplasty with supplementary liposuction may be ideal, but you should take into account whether you're planning on having any more children in the near future.  Talk to your surgeon as they can definitely be able to recommend the most suitable course of action for you.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Some questions require an exam to answer responsibly

+1

Hi there-

Please understand that I would need to get to know you a lot better and examine you before I could make a recommendation... On the other hand, here are a few thoughts:

Considering that you are only 21 years old, I am going to assume that you are probably going to have more children in your future... And if you were my sister, wife, or mother, I would not recommend doing anything until you are finished having babies, as the improvement through a more minor procedure will not give you the flat, lovely belly I think you want, and will just leave you feeling like you wasted your money and ended up looking unnatural...

In order to achieve the flat, shapely belly you had before your son was born a tummy tuck is eventually going to be necessary.

This does mean that there will not be a quick fix for your abdomen, but the long term outcome and your overall satisfaction (IMO) will be much greater, and the safety and success of the tummy tuck you eventually have will be greater.

Enjoy your baby making years!- - and when your family is complete, visit your plastic surgeon for a nice tummy tuck.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Liposuction for now

+1

It is difficult to say for sure without an exam but I think at your age you can try a simple liposuction procedure with your upcoming breast augmentation procedure.  If you are planning on having any additional children then I would definitely wait on a tummy tuck.  In the future if you develop loose skin that bothers you then you will need a tummy tuck.  Liposuction will only lesson the amount of fat you have in your "problem areas" but it will not tighten your skin.

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Young woman in need of tummy tuck / Mujer joven necesitando de una abdominoplastia

+1

You will eventually need a tummy tuck.  But right now might not be the best time.  If you plan on having more kids, wait.  If you plan on losing more weight, also delay the procedure.  With both the excellent weight loss prior to surgery coupled with your little boy.  Your abdominal skin will be loose and will not shrink back most likely.

Good luck with your pending surgery and thank you for your question.

Sincerely,

Anire Okpaku MD 

Usted va eventualmente necesitar una abdominoplastia. Pero puede ser que ahora no sea el mejor momento. Si usted planea tener mas niƱos, espere. Si usted tiene planes de bajar mas de peso entonces posponga el procedimiento. La perdida de peso combinada al embarazo puden hacer su piel del abdomen mas flacida la cual posiblemente no va volver a su normalidad.

Suerte en su cirugia y gracias por la pregunta

Atentamente,

Anire Okpaku MD

Anire Okpaku, MD FACS

Abdominoplasty vs. liposuction

+1

Unfortunately your in the grey zone when the skin excess is present but not necessarily enough to justify the scar associated with a tummy tuck. It depends on how much you dislike the currently look and how much skin scar you are willing to live with after surgery. Liposuction alone would make some difference but it is unclear from these photos how much skin excess would or would not be a problem after lipo alone. Be wary of anyone who promises you skin shrinkage as a result of a the way they do the liposuction. Aggressive attempts to get skin shrinkage through liposuction alone can be disastrous.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Am I a Good Candidate for Liposuction? Or Should I Hold out for a Tummy Tuck?

+1

Without an exam it is hard to give you the best answer. If your abdominal skin is firm as opposed to loose and you don't have much in the way of stretch marks, you can probably get away with a liposuction procedure. Otherwise the tummy tuck would be a better operation. But you are very young and I would caution you to avoid the tummytuck if you will be having more babies and just stick with the lipo for now to improve your contour.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD