Am I a Good Candidate for Lipo, Full, or Mini Tummy Tuck?

Am I a good candidate for lipo, full or mini tummy tuck? I'm 36 years old, and have kids. Thanks!

TT or lipo?

+3

Judging on the photos and your history of pregnancy, I suspect you need some sort of abdominplasty.  It is unlikely that with your low body fat (looking at your hips/flanks) that you just have isolated fat desposits in your central abdomen.  The photos are a little fuzzy and therefore difficult to tell if you have stretch marks or obvious skin laxity.  I would predict that on examination, you have rectus diastatis both below your belly button and to a degree above it and some element of skin inelasticity.  That means that liposuction would not give you the best results, and even a mini tummy tuck (which just adresses the tissue and separated muscles below the belly button) may not be satisfactory.   Not addressing the bulging above the belly button could leave you with more fullness up top and a tight lower abdomen.   I think you should have a couple consults and get opinions from BC plastic surgeons who can examine you and discuss options. 

Tummy Tuck VS Lipo

+2

It is sometimes difficult to tell from a picture what someone is a good candidate for. However, liposuction will not tighten skin and a mini tummy tuck does not improve the belly button or tighten skin above the the belly button. If your goal is just removal of some fat and to just look better in clothes than liposuction may be all that is needed. If your goal is also significant skin tightening than a tummy tuck will be a better option. Between mini tummy tuck and full tummy tuck the full tummy tuck gives complete correction of the abdomen and the belly button with only a a moderate increase in scar length.  Good luck in your research and treatment plan selection.

Mark A. Jabor, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

What type of procedure for my abdomen ?

+2

As you can see from the different answers from my colleagues you should discuss the options of full-, vs, Mini tummy tuck vs Liposuction with your (Board certified) Plastic Surgeon of choice.

You are in excellent shape and weight and you should be able to have an EXCELLENT result with the most appropriate procedure. Maybe you should consider two or even three opinions before deciding on the specific procedure AND the Surgeon.

From the fuzzy pictures it seems that you would benefit from bringing the rectus muscles together (Diastasis repair) and than a Mini Tummy tuck. Mini Tummy tucks are usually rather the exception than the rule. Nevertheless see Plastic Surgeon(s), ask all the questions and than decide what procedure and with whom you are most comfortable.

Good luck

Guido P. Gutter MD
Evansville Plastic Surgeon

Separation of muscles(diastasis recti) correction with tummy tuck,mini tummy

+2

It appears you have very little excess skin but do have the bulge which usually is because of a separation of the tummy muscles(diastasis recti). The best correction of this is to bring the muscles together, tightening them and narrowing the waist. This is done during a tummy tuck but I also do this through a mini-tummy tuck and even endoscopically with a small cut(s). 

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Whether you are a candidate for liposuction, mini-abdominoplasty (usually with liposuction),

+2

or Abdominoplasty depends on what specific problems you are trying to address.  Basically, the problem can be one of a localized collection of fat, looseness of the abdominal skin, laxity of the muscles of the abdominal wall, scarring from prior surgeries, or any combination of the above.  In general, if the problem is specific fat deposits that need to be removed, and if the skin tone is good, liposuction of SmartLipo are the best options for abdominal contouring.  If there is loseness of the abdominal wall muscles, adding a tightening procedure, often as a mini abdominopalsty, can work very well.  If the skin is very loose, with poor tone and prior abdominal wall scarring, then a full Abdominoplasty is probably the best choice.  Givent he need to specifically evaluate your situation, a consultation with a skilled surgeon is the best way to determine what the right operation would be. 

Michael H. Rosenberg, MD
White Plains Plastic Surgeon

+2

Based upon you posted photos you are a great candidate for mini TT with Smart Lipo of central and upper abdomen. Regards 

LIPOSUCTION VS TUMMY TUCK

+2

It is very difficult from photos alone to determine which procedure would best meet your needs.  Often patients are candidates for all three procedures, with the realization that there are limitations to each procedure.  For example, liposuction alone will get rid of any excess fat in the abdominal region but will not help with abdominal wall laxity or excess skin.  If abdominal wall laxity or loose skin is the major problem then either a full abdominoplasty or mini tuck would be more appropriate. Cost and limitations of the procedures often play a factor in the final decision.

Robert M. Jensen, MD
Medford Plastic Surgeon

Mini tummy tuck or lipo?

+2

Depends on your expectations. You should have a long consult with the Board Certified Plastic surgeon of your choice  and let him examine you. Are you done with having children? Do you want to loose weight? Would you trade a long scar for a flat tummy? In my practice, these are questions that a patient must answer in order to give the best possible advice.

Best wishes, Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Options for a better looking tummy

+2

You appear to have some abdominal wall laxity.  This can be repaired by either an endoscopic tummy tuck or a mini tummy tuck.  A full tummy tuck would likely be unnecessary since it does not appear from the photos that you have a significant amount of skin and soft-tissue laxity.  An endoscopic tummy tuck tightens the abdominal wall through very small incisions but does not remove any skin.  A mini tummy tuck will allow removal of a small amount of skin near your bikini line.  Liposuction can and often is performed at the same time as either the mini or endoscopic tummy tuck.

Dr Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Question regarding the best procedure to correct abdominal deformity

+2

In order to provide you with an accurate and useful answer, a personal consultation would be required with a board certified plastic surgeon. The photos are helpful to some extent, though. If indeed your skin and muscle are lax both below and above your belly button, a "full" tummy tuck would be the procedure that would be able to correct these issues. Liposuction does not tighten the skin and a mini tummy tuck only corrects the loose skin and lax muscle below the belly button.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD