Am I a Good Candidate for Hairline Lowering? (photo)

I've had a really broad forehead my entire life. I'm not experiencing any hair loss out of the ordinary (a few strands here and there). I wouldn't want the surgical method where part of my forehead would be surgically removed then my hairline pulled down and stapled back together. Is it possible to implant hairs where they've never grown before? What's the estimate on how many grafts I'd need? I would only want one session. *note: My measuring tape starts at 22 cm instead of 1 for some reason.

Hairline Transplant

+1

Yes, hair transplants can grow in areas that have never had hair before. A hair transplantation using follicular unit extraction (FUE) restores the hairline and proportion of the face. It is much less invasive than the stretching procedure you want to avoid. When hair loss occurs at the hairline, distortion occurs of the face. A receding hairline makes the forehead look larger, throwing the entire balance of the face off. This article expands on how to determine the number of grafts you would need.

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Hairline lowering and/or Fleming-Mayer Flap for hairline reconstruction.

+1

You have a very high forehead indeed and tissue expansion would be a better option than grafts since it is much cheaper and gives a better looking result. We do many African-American patients that have this problem and they almost always choose tissue expansion unless they have a VERY flexible scalp and therefore, do not need the expander placed and later removed with the forehead advancement. This is like a pregnancy that stretches the abdomen and makes "extra scalp" to lower the hairline. Examples can be found on the website. 

Grafts to lower a hairline versus surgical forehead reduction.

+1

There is no easy answer for your question. You need your hairline lowered at least 4cm to get an ideal esthetic result. You would need at least 3000 follicular unit grafts and that would be difficult with African hair to perform in one sitting. The surgical advancement , which you do not want, works the best for your kind of hair and hairline. And unless you have exceptional laxity of your scalp and forehead, you would require 5-9 weeks of expansion of the scalp. This makes it a two step process , but nothing works better in my opinion. If you only will have one session of hair transplants, you are better off doing nothing. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon