Am I a good candidate for a full tummy tuck at this weight and size? (photo)

I have lost over 70 pounds within the last two years. I am 5.5 and currently weigh 180 pounds. I have hit a serious weight loss plateau (would eventually like to lose another 15 lbs), but I really feel like I am ready for a tummy tuck. The extra skin around my stomach is hampering the way I want to exercise. Although I know it is better to be at an "ideal" weight before surgery, would I get good results from a full tummy tuck?

Tummy Tuck Candidate after Massive Weight-loss

+3

You should be proud of what you have achieved.  Congratulations.  After massive weight-loss, a time comes when it is difficult to continue regular exercise routines because of the excess skin which is in the way. While you may wish to lose a few more pounds, it seems that you are already at a good place and likely a good candidate for a tummy tuck operation.  Now is a good time for a more thorough consultation with a plastic surgeon who is familiar with weight-loss patients and the unique concerns that are associated with having lost so much weight.  I hope this helps. 

Am I a good candidate for a full tummy tuck at this weight and size?

+2

Always best to seek IN PERSON evaluations from boarded PSs in your city or state. I think you are a great candidate for FULL TT..///

+2

You are definitely ready for a tummy tuck. Almost every patient I see after major weight loss such as yours says they want to lose another 15-20 pounds, but can't. That is because the weight you want to lose is in the excess skin and fat. You will lose it when you lose the skin.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Am I ready for Tummy Tuck with a few more pounds I would like to lose?

+2

You've done a very good job losing the weight!  Congratulations.  Most patients are not able to get all the way down to their goal weight so your position is not unusual.  I think at this stage you would get a very good result from a full tummy tuck with some liposuction if needed.  Be sure that you choose a plastic surgeon familiar with patients who have undergone dramatic weight loss to be sure that the appropriate preoperative workup is performed to ensure optimal healing.  

Brian Dorner, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+2

Thank you for your pictures.

In my opinion your body is at the right stage to have an extended tummy tuck in combination with liposuction.

These procedures will really enhance your body and give you what you are looking for.

Congratulations on your weightloss sucsess.

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Full tummy tuck and weight loss.

+2

You definitely appear to be at a satisfactory weight for a full tummy tuck. I always advise delaying the procedure as long as you are continuing to lose weight, then consider the procedure once a plateau is reached. You have reached a stage which is very much in the average range of appearance for many of the abdominoplasties I perform after MWL. Try to find a surgeon who has done a large number of these cases and review before and after pictures of similar patients. Getting a good result with your degree of skin excess requires skill, experience and attention to detail.

Gregory J. Stagnone, MD

Candidate for a TT

+2

Congrats on the weight loss. Great job. I believe you are a very good candidate for a TT now. Not sure if 15 more pound weight loss will be totally doable. I think that the "reward" for the great job you did would be to see a nice tummy. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who performs TT regularly, especially with patients that have lost that kind of weight. Good luck.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck following weight loss

+2

Congratulations on your weight loss!!  I look at your situation from two perspectives.  First, your best result is going to happen when your weight is stable.  With that in mind, it is good to achieve your goal weight before having surgery.  The second perspective is that you have hit a wall with your work-outs.  Sometimes, getting the tummy tuck done at this stage is good in that it helps motivate patients to get back into the gym and lose the rest of their weight.  In your case, you mention that the excess skin is actually impeding your ability to work out the way you want to.  Going ahead and having the surgery now may improve your ability to work out.  Either way, I think you would be a great candidate for a tummy tuck or even a full body lift.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

+2

The tummy tuck will produce a dramatic change in your physique.

Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tuck procedures each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

RE: Am I a good candidate for a full tummy tuck at this weight and size?

+1
Dear bec0921,

I believe you would get a “good result” from a “full tummy tuck”, but a successful plastic surgery experience is very dependent on realistic expectations. What you need to realize is that you are a “good” candidate for surgery but not “ideal”. You would be better served to lose the additional weight prior to surgery (if you believe that you will be able to maintain this weight after the procedure). Another reality is that you are more of a “post bariatric surgery” (weight loss) patient than the usual tummy tuck patient. The normal tummy tuck procedure removes skin in a horizontal plane, but your excess skin is both horizontal and vertical. I would suggest that you look at photographs of weight loss patients more than the tummy tuck before and after images to get a better concept of your post-operative outcome.

I don’t want to discourage you, as you are so much better off having lost the 70 pounds. The procedure you select will allow you to achieve your goal of removing “the extra skin around my stomach”. My words of caution were just to make sure your surgical outcome meets your expectations.

Good luck! Michael Sadove MD

A. Michael Sadove, MD