I'm 59 yrs old and have 6 children. Am I a Good Candidate for a Full Tummy Tuck?

I am 59 years old. Over 15 years ago, I had a heart attack and a stroke. I have 6 children and I have a problem with excess fat around my middle. It is causing me to have terrible backaches. I also am carrying at least 40-50 lbs. of extra weight because of it.

Should I have tummy tuck?

+1

It is difficult (impossible) to offer valuable information to you without seeing photos.  You already know that weight loss will help you, tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) may help you, and consulting with a specialist about your back (if you've not already done so) may help.

Get the support you need.  Consider engaging the services of a professional weight loss program. Commit to the necessary lifestyle changes, and to successfully achieving your goal.  Tummy tuck will then be your reward, especially if you find a great surgeon.  You will need careful management of your coagulation parameters peri-operatively, and participation of your primary doctor.

Work up needed before tummy tuck

+1

You will first need to be evaluated by an internist for formal medical and cardiac clearance for elective cosmetic surgery.  In addition, you may need to lose some weight to make you a better candidate for a tummy tuck.  Best of luck.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck candidate? Not right now...

+1

I completely agree with Dr. Pousti and would encourage you to work closely with your internist, get a dieitican and a personal trainer and try to lose the 50 extra pounds and strengthen your core muscles.  A tummy tuck is not a substitute for these healthy measures and in your current condition with a past history of life threatening vascular disease, a tummy tuck could be fatal. After you are in much better condition, it would be reasonable to discuss TT with several board certified plastic surgeons, but not right now.  Good luck!!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Good Candidate for Full Tummy Tuck?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the significant medical issues you have experienced at a relatively early age. As you know, having had a myocardial infarction and stroke in the past, does suggest that you are at increased risk for similar events in the future.  This medical history and “carrying extra weight”  increases the risk for complications around the time of surgery.

Therefore, I do not think you're a good candidate for tummy tuck surgery at this point. I would suggest that you seek professional help with your internist/nutritionist/personal trainer... and optimize your weight/health status prior to undergoing elective surgery.

It may be that, once you have taken the above measures, you will be a good candidate for the procedure. At that point seek consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons who operate out of fully accredited facilities with board-certified anesthesiologist. Obtain medical “clearance”  from the doctors who know you best prior to surgery.

Best  wishes.