Am I a Good Candidate for an Eye Lid Lift?

I am a 41 year old African-American woman, I have extreme hooded eye lids. Would I be a good candidate for an eye lid lift? My situation is extreme and its very embarrassing I need help and answers.

+2

Dear Drena- Thanks so much for your question. As many posters have mentioned, there are several variables that need to be evaluated when treating someone for hooding of the upper lids. Excess eyelid skin (with or without protruding fat) is a common cause of hooding. However, the position of the brow can play a major role in crowding of the upper lid area. Sometimes weakness in the upper lid muscles can limit how high the lash line is at rest- making a person look fatigued and even limited vision.

Hopefully this is helpful. Make sure you visit a practice this is very comfortable with all aspects of rejuvenation around the eyes.

Web reference: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23186766

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid Lift for Hooding

+2

The brow and the eyelid should both be considered in hooding.  A physical exam will be necessary to determine what is needed.  Find the plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials for has performed hundreds of these procedures.   Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

3 separate factors contribute to appearance of droopy upper eyelid

+2

There are three separate factors, sometimes in combination, that cause "droopy upper eyelid" appearance.  1) excess puffy upper eyelid skin (treatment blepharoplasty); 2) upper eyelid ptosis where the actual eyelid falls secondary to weakened muscle (treatment ptosis surgery); 3) droopy eyebrow (treatment brow lift).  Photo/evaluation is needed to understand the exact cause(s) in your situation. See an oculoplastic surgeon for evaluation.

Web reference: http://www.tabanmd.com

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Hooding of Upper Eyelids in 40 Year African American Woman....Blepharoplasty?

+2

Hi Drena,

It is difficult to answer your question with a photo and/or examining you.  It sounds as if you are a candidate for upper blepharoplasty.  You should consult with qualified blepharoplasty surgeons.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Upper Eyelid Blepharoplasty to solve the problem of Hooded Eyelids and/or Brow Lift

+1

Most likely, the procedure you are looking for is an upper eyelid blepharoplasty. Often referred to as an eyelid lift, this is a very simple procedure to solve the problem of extra skin in the upper eyelids.

Occasionally, the problem is more than just extra skin in the upper eyelids; it may be more closely related to a lower position of your eyebrows, which "closes" the eye area and gives the appearance of excess skin in the eyelids. In this case, an eye brow lift may be more appropriate. This is often referred to simply as a brow lift or forehead lift.

With both the upper eyelid blepharoplasty and the brow lift surgery, scars are well camouflaged. The eyelid lift incisions are hidden in the upper eyelid crease; the brow lift is done endoscopically, so only very small incisions are needed and are able to be well hidden above your hair line.

It's the role of your plastic surgeon to help you assess your condition and decide which of these 2 procedures is most appropriate for you...or if your extreme eyelid hooding requires both an upper eyelid blepharoplasty and a brow lift to give you the most satisfying, natural-looking improvement.

Web reference: http://www.drmmacdonald.com/eyelid-lift-brow-lift-surgery/

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid Lift?

+1

It would be very useful if you could post some photographs to review.  Many patients who think that they need their eyelids treated actually need to have their brow treated and this can only really be assessed with an examination.  Best of luck to you.

+1

It sounds like you might be a good candidate.  You need to see an experienced eyelid surgeon who can evaluate you for this procedure and make sure that you don't have any issues, for example dry eyes, that would make the surgery contraindicated in your case.

Web reference: http://www.neweyelids.com/

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid Lift - Blepharoplasty

+1

There needs to be an evaluation to determine if "heavy" eyelids are cause by isolated excess eyelid skin, droopy eyebrows (eyebrow ptosis) or a combination of both. 

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty in African Americans

+1

Upper eyelid hooding is common in all ethnic groups with age but worst in caucasians. You need to be evaluated first by a surgeon to confirm that it is excess skin in the upper eyelids that is causing the hooding and not low lying eye brows. The treatment for these conditions is different.

Regards

Dr J

Disclaimer: This answer is not intended to give a medical opinion and does not substitute for medical advice. The information presented in this posting is for patients’ education only. As always, I encourage you to see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Web reference: http://www.janjuafacialsurgery.com

Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid lift

+1

In order to tell you whether or not you are a good candidate, you really need an exam in person.  Good luck.