Am I a Good Candidate for Ethnic Rhinoplasty? (photo)

Hello! I have always thought that my nose is a bit large for my face, so I really want to find a great doctor in the NYC area who is skilled in ethnic rhinoplasties. 1 Am I a good candidate for rhinoplasty? 2 Would a nose job make much of a difference? 3 What should my surgeon focus on? I think that the tip is bulbous, nostrils are wide, there is a slight hump, and my nose is lacking definition. Any other flaws? 4 Will my rhinoplasty be fairly uncomplicated/will I have a swift recovery?

Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+2

You are an excellent rhinoplasty candidate. The procedure will focus on the tip which will be narrowed and projection increased. Including alar base reduction will improve definition so your nose is proportional to your excellent surrounding facial features. Also consider a chin implant for better facial balance.

Ethnic rhinoplasty

+2

Ethnic  rhinoplasty can involve many different techniques in rhinoplasty. To narrow the nose, osteotomies are required to narrow the nasal bones, while tip suturing techniques are used in narrow the tip cartilages. Occasionally tip cartilage  is removed to further give more narrowing to the tip. An alar-plasty is performed to narrow the wide nostrils. The incision for  Alar-plasty is at the base of the nostril sill. Expect  a cast across the bridge of  your nose for a week, visible bruising and swelling for 2 weeks, and full healing could take upwards of a year.

Rhinoplasty

+2

To me every nose is an ethnic rhinoplasty.  Each individual is so different and therefore require different things.  You can certainly have a good result.  

+2

YES, you are a great candidate, there are plenty of good rhinoplasty surgeons in and around NYC.  Your eyes, lips, facial shape and proportion are all beautiful.  Feminization of the nose with slightly improved tip projection and definition, a more narrow dorsum and base of the nose are the primary changes.  You would maintain your ethnicity, but augment your allure.

Steve Laverson, MD

Ethnic rhinoplasty candidate

+2

Hi tdubs923,

It seems like you would be a good candidate for "ethnic rhinoplasty."

To further clarify, that term essentially means  that you would have an Augmentation Rhinoplasty (meaning we add cartilage or other material to provide height and strength to the nose).

The first inclination of the patient is to say "I don't want a BIGGER nose" when you tell them they need an augmentation procedure. But it is the way to make a nose like yours look narrower.

Narrowness is related to contrast of highlights and shadows. A tall nose tends to look narrow and a flat nose tends to look wide. This is true in the tip and in the bridge.

Typically African american noses have weak cartilage which does not provide a lot of height to the tip. They also have short septums and nasal bones. The overall effect is that the nose looks wide, since it doesn't have the height.

You can narrow without adding anything to these patients, but the results are often disappointing. So, typically we narrow the nose but also add some height and strength to the tip as well as the bridge. Depending on how narrow you want, cartilage or other materials, like Silicone, can be discussed.

In all, though, I do believe you would be a perfect candidate. After a consultation, you would be able to have a more specific idea about the type of result you can achieve.

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Ethnic Rhinoplasty

+1

It is important to find someone who has performed hundreds of these procedures with amazing results. We have patients fly from NYC often for this surgery. If you would consider this please contact our office for a virtual consultation. We wish you the best and think you will be a terrific candidate.

George T. Boris, MD, FRCS, FACS

You are a good candidate for rhinoplasty, but…

+1

You are an attractive lady, and I think you are wise to consider rhinoplasty. 

The biggest challenge will be dealing with the lower half of your nose that features particularly generous nostrils.  It is most likely that a nostril-narrowing procedure will be necessary, but understand that that would require external incisions. 

Regarding the hump on your nose and the lack of definition: you are correct, and those certainly can be improved.  Hopefully, your rhinoplasty will be uncomplicated, but no one can guarantee that or that the recovery will be swift.

Typically, the rhinoplasty recovery is seven to ten days until one can return to all normal activities including sports.  There are many excellent cosmetic plastic surgeons in the New York area, but your mission will be to find one who has a long history of performing ethnic rhinoplasties and is extremely specialized in that procedure. 

Robert Kotler, MD, FACS
Facial Plastic Surgeon
Author, SECRETS OF A BEVERLY HILLS COSMETIC SURGEON
Author, THE ESSENTIAL COSMETIC SURGERY COMPANION

Robert Kotler, MD