Am I a Good Candidate for Epicanthoplasty and Lateral Canthoplasty? (photo)

I had double eyelid surgery (suture method) done two years ago. Although I am happy with my results because they widened my eyes "vertically", I am unhappy with the overall "roundness" of my eyes. I'm looking for a way to elongate my eyes in order to achieve that "open-eyed" look. However, I'm hesitant as to whether having epicanthoplasty and lateral canthoplasty will make my eyes seem un-naturally stretched. Also, what is the average recovery time it takes for these two surgeries?

Consider..

+1

In my opinion your eyes appear to be an appropriate length and shape and you might want to consider Asian upper eyelid surgery or the “double eyelid” procedure. Although epicanthoplasty and lateral canthoplasty are procedures which are performed, it is important you consider that these procedure do have a relative risk of scarring particularly the epicanthoplasty. Upper eyelid surgery such as double eyelid surgery can make the eyes look more open and create a balance where your eyes look naturally as if you were born with a double fold with no evidence of having had surgery. It’s important to consider the potential risk of scarring especially in the inner corners of the eyelid, which is adjacent to the nasal skin where scarring can occur. It may look good in photograph  but if the scar is slightly visible even to the naked eye then it would be something that would be in my opinion undesirable.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Be Careful

+1

Although a medial epicanthoplasty might be of some benefit (IF your epicanthal folds bother you), a lateral canthoplasty would not be advised. You have very nice positioning of your lateral canthi, and overall your eyes are quite attractive.  Think twice before doing this.

Kevin F. Hagan, MD

Canthoplasty for your Asian eyes.

+1

Canthoplasty for your Asian eyes is NOT FOR YOU! Leave your beautiful eyes alone and do not let anyone operate on them!

Be wary of canthplasty

+1

You are absolutely correct to be wary of canthoplasty. They will not give you a more "open look". As a matter of fact, it will likely make you look un-natural.

An epicanthoplasty will remove the fold along the medial canthus, which many Asians have. Again, it will not really make the eye "more open"

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon