I am a 24 year old female with a deep mentolabial fold. Am I a good candidate for a chin implant? (photo)

I'm a 24 year old female interested in a small chin implant. My main concern is that my mentolabial fold my be too deep and result in an unnatural look. Would I be a good candidate for this procedure or would it not achieve a more aesthetically pleasing result? Also, at this time I have about half a syringe of Radiesse injected in my chin.

You are a candidate for a chin implant pending dissolution of Restylane and an exam

+2
You may very well be a candidate--good work on knowing about the mentolabial crease!  A small implant would probably not make it much deeper--but you really should be examined in person, and only after the injectable has dissolved....
Hope this helps.

Web reference: http://drmost.com/chinaug.html

Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Consider different options

+1
I commend you on your awareness of the deepened labio-mental crease, as most patients are unaware of its presence or significance.  The ideal treatment is orthodontics followed by lower jaw advancement, but this is complex and likely unnessary, leaving good compromise options to be considered.  Be very careful with a chin implant and it can indeed lead to a deepened crease and an unnatural appearance.  If one is placed, it should be very small in projection.  While I place chin implants in the vast majority of my patients with small chins, you fit into the category where I would strongly recommend a "lengthening" genioplasty---the chin bone is cut and moved forward as well as downwards a few mm.   This produces a more natural appearing chin while at the same time often lessoning the depth of the labio-mental crease. 

I refer you to the following article on the topic published in 2004 titled Evaluation and treatment of vertical microgenia written by myself.

Be sure to see a surgeon with understanding of these issues. 
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Good Candidate for Chin Augmentation with Implant

+1
Dear Jenni.rae, You are an excellent candidate for chin augmentation. A small chin would help balance your overall facial features and your profile tremendously. This answer is based solely on the one profile photograph provided. With the long term cost of fillers a small implant will help with this permanently. I personally use a digital imaging computer which is very helpful in chin augmentation patients to show them their proposed surgical result. These proposed results are very close as you can see in my digital imaging page on my website listed below. If you have a highly recommended surgeon in your area who uses imaging this may be helpful for you in determining your surgery decision. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Web reference: http://www.michaelelammd.com

Chin implant

+1
Jenni.rae, Based solely on your photos I believe that a chin implant would be beneficial. See 2-3 facial plastic specialists and review their photos. Don't choose a surgeon until you are comfortable with their photos, training and experience. See my web site for further information. Good luck!
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

I am a 24 year old female with a deep mentolabial fold. Am I a good candidate for a chin implant?

+1
I think a chin implant will produce a nice improvement.

Find a board certified plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of facial procedures and chin implants each year. Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Web reference: http://www.hughesplasticsurgery.com/Chin-Implant.php

Chin implant and mentolabial fold

+1
Chin implants are a large part of my practice and in my opinion you are definitely not a candidate for an implant.  It would accentuate your ML fold and make it worse.  You need a sliding genioplasty to lengthen your chin as well as advance it.  Of course no one can make an exact diagnosis without seeing you in person, but I have been faced with this situation many times.

Joe Niamtu, III DMD
Cosmetic Facial Surgery
Richmond, Virginia
Richmond Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Am I a good candidate for a chin implant?

+1
Without a full exam it isn't possible to give you a complete answer, but based on the single side view photo it appears a chin implant would be aesthetically pleasing. The mentolabial fold is not an issue.

+1
Yes, you are correct...you would benefit from a chin implant.  It is normal to have a mentolabial fold of about 5mm.  This fold does not dictate aesthetics.  Your chin should project almost even with your lower lip, so a chin implant is perfect for you!

Web reference: http://www.beverlyhills-plasticsurgery.com/chin-implant-surgery/

Chin implant

+1
You appear to be a exceelent candidate for chin augmentation. I would go to a PS in your area and have him take your photos and then alter them digitally to show you how you might look following an augmentation. This is a great tool to allow patients to see their final result without ever stepping into the operating room. Dr. corbin
Brea Plastic Surgeon

Chin Implants and the Labiomental Fold

+1
A large chin implant can create a deeper labiomental fold. But with a small chin implant this is usually not a concern. Your trial of Radiesse proves that a small chin augmentation does not adversely affect your labiomental fold.

Web reference: http://www.eppleyplasticsurgery.com