Am I a good candidate for a chin implant/jaw surgery? (photo)

I am a 21 year old male. I am self conscious of my chin and jawline. I think I have a weak/receding chin. Based on my appearance is a chin implant or sliding genioplasty something you would recommend? Thanks in advance for your advice.

A Chin implant will improve your profile and facial balance

+2

A sub periosteal chin implant will markedly improve your facial profile and facial balance. You should have your teeth evaluated to see if you have correct occlusion. If your teeth do not meet well you may be better off with orthonathic surgery, moving your jaw. If you have good occlusion of your teeth then a chin implant is a simple and very effective method to improve your appearance.

Chin implant for recessive chin profile

+1
A chin implant can be inserted under local anesthesia through a sub-mental approach with a simple 30 minute outpatient procedure. Chin implants were manufactured in a variety of sizes and shapes, and sometimes have to be custom carved when pre-existing asymmetries are present in the mandible. Jaw advancement surgery is performed under general anesthesia in a hospital setting and may require a day or 2 in the hospital afterwards.

Implant vs. Sliding Genioplasty for Short Chin/Jawline

+1

You could have either a chin implant or sliding genioplasty for your particular chin problem. There are advantages and disadvantages with either approach but more information is needed to make that decision that just a few photographs. Computer imaging needs to be done to see how these two types of procedures look on you and what type of jawline shape you are looking for.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD