Am I a Good Candidate for Breast Reduction - Traditional or Lipo Reduction? (photo)

I'm 42, 5'6", 150lbs, 32FF/G cup & a 40" chest. I have lower, middle & upper back pain & recently neck pain. I work out 2-5 times a week doing kickboxing, circuit Pilates & weights concentrating on strengthening my back

Am I a good candidate for breast reduction - traditional or lipo reduction? (photo)

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question.  It is a safe procedure, in which your plastic surgeon will reduce the amount of breast tissue, reshape your breasts, raise the nipple-areolar complex to its appropriate position (possibly making the size smaller, if needed), and ultimately ameliorate the possible complaints that you do have for the reason that you are having this procedure (e.g., neck/back pain, migraines, rashes/infections, shoulder grooving, etc).

It would be in your best interest to have a mammogram prior to the procedure for screening prior to this procedure, as the architecture imaging of your breast will slightly change afterwards. Well known data exists that having a breast reduction will in fact lower your chance for developing breast cancer, simply because the amount of tissue will be less.

Consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon who will discuss the procedure with you, examine, and assist you in determining if this is the right procedure for you.  A traditional excision of the tissue may be the better method for you, as it will be able to remove the excess skin and soft tissue as well, as opposed to the fatty tissue alone.  Voice your complaints - your insurance will likely require a detailed description of your history and complaints as well as photo and an estimate of how much tissue will be removed.  You should give a description of the therapies that you have done to ameliorate your complaints thus far.  Any other notes from other physicians is helpful.  It would also behoove you to discuss your issues yourself with your insurance carrier.  Hope that this helps!  Best wishes!

Breast reduction

+1

Actually, you are one of the few cases I have seen where you are a good candidate for breast reduction by lipo.  That is because your breasts are not too saggy and your skin looks like it will shrink down pretty well after lipo.  

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Candidate for Breast Reduction?

+1

It sounds like you would be a good candidate for breast reduction.The best candidates for liposuction breast reduction are younger women with normal skin elasticity, minimal to moderate breast enlargement, and with minimal ptosis or sagging. The breasts should have an adequate amount of fat-to-breast tissue content to achieve a good reduction. See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to determine which procedure would work best for you Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Am I a Breast Reduction Candidate?

+1

-Based on your photos and your symptoms, it does appear that you would benefit from a breast reduction. 

-I would definitely recommend meeting in person with a board certified plastic surgeon to find out more details about the procedure, including risks and benefits. 

-Best of luck to you!

Joshua Cooper, MD, FACS