Am I a Good Candidate for Breast Reduction? Insurance Wise?

I'm 18 yrs old and I am a 28f I am 5'1 115 pounds I have back pain and my bra straps are constantly digging. I have horrible posture ,self esteem and they caused me to be clinically diagnosed with severe depression. I just really need them gone to 34B at the most ill even take a 32A.I hate them. I don't go swimming and are refraining me from being active and I know they can only get worse.

Candidate for reduction mammaplasty?

+2

From your description, you are a good candidate for a reduction.  You should have this authorized either on the anticipated weight to be removed or from your clinical history of depression that is attributed to your breasts.  Please remember that numb nipples can happen as well as affecting your ability to breast feed.

Breast Reduction Candidate?

+2

Based on the description of your breasts and symptoms, you sound like a good candidate for breast reduction surgery covered by insurance. Schedule an evaluation with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon. The surgeon you choose and his/her office will be able to coordinate authorization from your health insurance to schedule your surgery. Best wishes!

Web reference: http://www.larrabeecenter.com/before-after-photos-seattle/breast-reduction/

Insurance coverage

+1

Every insurance plan has their own unique criteria on whether they will cover a breast reduction. More and more, we are seeing plans where a breast reduction is not a covered benefit. If it is a covered benefit, some insurance plans set a minimum required amount of tissue to be remove in order to met their threshold for coverage. Some set the amount in relation to your BMI (height and weight). Others require extensive medical records documenting neck pain, back pain, and history of rashes. The other alternative is to opt for a breast reduction as a self-pay option. Start by visiting with a board certified plastic surgeon to learn more about your options.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Breast Reduction Candidate?

+1

I am sorry to hear about the problems your breasts are causing, both from the physical and the psychosocial standpoints.  Based on your description, you certainly sound like you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery.

Sometimes the procedure is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
 This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization. 

Select your plastic surgeon carefully. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work. Communicate your goals carefully;  be careful about using cup size  as a reference point, given that  bra sizes will vary and  can therefore be a source of miscommunication.  Also, make sure you learn about the potential risks/complications associated with the procedure,  about the presence of scars, and the potential need for additional surgery.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastReduction.htm

Look at the requirements from your policy

+1

You need to go over the insurance policy requirements with your plastic surgeon.  It is usually mentioned in your policy booklet and if you can't find the requirements then your plastic surgeon can help you.  The requirements are based on height and weight and how much breast tissue can be removed and your symptoms.

Candidate for breast reduction

+1

Unfortunately, many patients who qualify medically for breast reduction do not qualify under the terms of their policy.  You may have to pay for it yourself, or change insurance companies.  It is an outpatient procedure.

Talmage  Raine MD FACS

drraine.com

Breast reduction

+1

Each insurance company has different criteria for approval. An exam in person will be m ost beneficial.

Breast reduction

+1

The criteria that insurance companies use for breast reduction surgery depends on the weight of breast tissue which would be removed from each breast, in addition to your symptoms.  Without photos, it is impossible to,give you an idea.