Am I a Good Candidate for Alar Base Resection? What Do You Suggest? (photo)

Am I a Good Candidate for Alar Base Resection? What Do You Suggest?

Alar base reduction

+1

From the photos you provided, it does not appear you would benefit from an alar base reduction.  Preferably, a base view photo and/or an examination would be necessary in order to provide you with the best advice.  During a consultation with a board certified rhinoplasty specialist, computer imaging software can be used to morph your photo and give you an idea of what may be accomplished from a rhinoplasty surgery. Thank you and I hope this helps.

When is alar base surgery necessary?

+1

In the defined "ideal beauty," the width of the nostrils (the alar base) is the same as the width of the eye.  Obviously, this varies with race and ethnicity.  Additionally, it can vary in relation to other facial proportions.  Without photos of your entire face, it is impossible to assess the harmony of the alar base.  It looks like you may have had prior rhinoplasty surgery to me.  Do I see a scar inside the nostrils?  If so, perhaps you are displeased with the visibility of this scar.  This is something that can be addressed simply and 

Michelle R. Yagoda, MD

Caandidate for Alar Base Reduction

+1

The pictures do not demonstrate a need for alar base reduction. A complete examination of your nose would be necessary before making a final recommendation.

Should I narrow the base of my nose? (photos)

+1

In agreement with other responders, because of your considerable beauty and our strong professional commitment to "first, do no harm," your question merits in person consultation.  However, if you want more narrow nostril base and like the change resulting from simulation of alar base resection by gentle application of pressure with cotton tipped applicators to each side of the alae pressing inward, then a small alar base resection may produce for you a favorable outcome.

Steve Laverson, MD

Alar base reduction.

+1

You do not have alar bases that are too wide-- leave your nose alone it looks good as it is based on 35 years of surgery.

Alar base reduction

+1

For aesthetic facial proportions we usually want the distance between the outer edges of the nose at the nostril level to be equal to the distance between the inner and outer corners of an eye. That is usually around 32mm. From you limited view, small, angled photos it is impossible to tell whether or not you would be a candidate for the procedure.

I hope you realize that this format of posting questions and receiving answers lacks the face to face direct communication required for you to make an informed decision regarding your surgery.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD

Alar Base Reduction

+1

Hi,

Its very difficult to assess your nose with the limited views and quality of photos you provided. I would say that from the pics, alar base reduction should not be your primary concern.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Large nostrils

+1

Alar base resection is usually reserved for flared or large nostrils.  It's difficult to truly appreciate your problem in the photos you have provided.  Worm's eye and full frontal views would be needed to truly visualize and evaluate your problem.  Also, it's a matter of preference on your part as to how much narrowing you would like to have (with the plastic surgeon as your guide).

Andre Panossian, MD, FACS
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon