Am I a good candidate for abdominoplasty? Mult pregnancies and ab surgeries, weight gain and loss have left it a mess. (photo)

I have lost 40 lbs and still have another 25-30 lbs to go. I've had several ab surgeries, incl multiple csections, that have left my abs weak. While I still have fat to lose in my ab, the skin fold that I have is troublesome and gets in the way of my normal routine. I often get a rash in the skin fold and treat it regularly, cleaning it several times a day since I live in a warm, tropical area. The extra skin has become a nuisance and embarrassment and affects my self esteem quite a bit.

Am I a good candidate for an abdominoplasty

+3

Yes, you are a good candidate for an abdominoplasty with muscle tightening. You are doing great on your weight loss so keep it up! Make sure your goal weight is realistic for you to maintain and once you are closer to it go in and see at least 3 board certified plastic surgeons for consultations. Based on just your photos, you should have a very nice result. ac

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Abdominoplasty with Mesh Reinforcement

+2

There is a new technique called Abdominoplasty with Mesh Reinforcement. This technique uses mesh to reinforce the abdominal wall, which results in early satiety, weight loss and maintains the reduced weight. The mesh increases the passive strength of the abdominal wall and active strength by compressing the muscles to the normal length (the Starling Effect). Since you have had multiple previous surgeries, this technique also repairs hernia and diastasis recti. There are recent articles published in Plastic Reconstructive Journal describing this technique.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Am I a good candidate for abdominoplasty?

+2

Based on the photos, you are an excellent candidate and should expect a nice outcome. I would suggest continuing with weight loss until you are reasonably close to your goal (10 pounds or less). Some patients who lose 30 pounds after a TT will have loose skin that would not be there had they waited to reach their target weight!.

All the best.

Excellent candidate for Tummy Tuck

+2

Aloha, and mahalo for the photos. You will note that the last 10 pounds of your weight loss goal will be the hardest to lose. Good job so far, and you can plan on getting even more effective with your exercise regimen once the extra skin is trimmed. Most surgeons will recommend you get as close to your goal as you can before the tummy tuck, but you are an excellent candidate for the procedure whenever you are ready from this point onward.

Randy Wong, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

You are a great candidate for abdominoplasty

+2

Yes, you are a great candidate for abdominoplasty, but keep losing the weight and try to get to within 15 pounds of your realistic goal weight before you do surgery. In addition to giving you a better overall contour and removing your excess skin, the tummy tuck will tighten your abdominal wall, effectively treating your "weak" abs and allowing for a better core and a better ability to exercise your muscles. It will also treat your skin rash, since the skin folds will be gone and won't be a hygiene problem. I agree with others that you will likely need an extended abdominoplasty, which basically means more skin removed (and a longer scar) on your waist.

Douglas J. Mackenzie, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

TT?

+2

YES! You are a very good candidate for a full Tummy Tuck operation. Seek a few IN PERSON consultations.//

Tummy tuck

+2

It looks like an extended tummy tuck with some liposuction is the right procedure. The more you lose before surgery the better the final result. Good Luck!

Gregory Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

You Have A Choice

+2

You should congratulate yourself on the forty pound weight loss. I am sure it has done a lot to improve your self-esteem already, but like most large weight loss patients, the extra skin is still a problem. You could certainly have liposuction and an extended abdominoplasty now get reasonably good results. You would get better results if you lost another ten or fifteen pounds and then had the surgery. I would encourage you to push yourself a little harder and lose those last few pounds. You've done so much already I am sure you can finish this race and the rewards will be all the greater for it.

Lori H. Saltz, MD

+2

Based on your photos, you should be a very good candidate for the surgery. If you can lose the extra weight first you will get an even better result.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Candidate for TT

+2

From the photos and history you appear to be an excellent candidate and should get a beautiful result

Frederic H. Corbin, MD
Brea Plastic Surgeon