Encapsulated Silicone Implant - Am I a Good Candidate for Fat Transfer to Breasts?

I was wondering if I would be a good candidate for fat transfer augmentation. I have an encapsulated implant that is more than 20 years old! Sometimes I have some pain with this implant. I have yearly mammograms and it is not leaking. Will insurance cover this? I am 46 years old and weigh 139 pounds at 5-8 height.

Capsular contracture

+1

It sounds like you need surgery to remove the capsules and possibly replace your implants.  Fat grafting is still not mainstream and probably would not be done upon explantation.  As for insurance coverage you would have to ask you carrier.

Fat transfer after breast implant removal

+1

It is unclear from your description if you have a normal capsule or a capsular contracture around your implant, and what is causing the pain in your breast. once the implant is removed, even if it is not ruptured, it may be advisable to perform a capsulectomy as well. Fat transfers to the breast may provide some restitution of volume.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Breast implant removal and replacement with fat graft transfer via injection

+1

As long as the implant is not ruptured, implant removal with staged fat transfer to the breast, possibly requiring multiple operations is an option. I recently completed a two stage transfer requiring 3 procedures in a woman who had silicone implants in place for 20 years.

Breast augmentation

+1

First the implant and the capsule must be removed and time allowed for proper healing.  Fat transfer is still out of the mainstream in the US, and not common place.  The fat will survive, if performed correctly.  You must have enough fat for the grafting.  There are some unanswered questions about the long term effects.

Shahin Javaheri, MD

Fat grafting can be an option

+1

The removal of the silicone gel implant and capsule will leave a space that needs to heal before fat grafting. The amount of the fat grafting also depends on the amount of available fat and  the breast tissue . The use of the fat for replacing breast implants is not a common practice and most surgeon will not offer that. I been doing the fat grafting for the implant failure for the last 4 years and you can view some of the pictures in my web site.

Insurance companies Will not cover this procedure.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Fat and encapsulated breast implant

+1

First, you are not a candidate for insurance as this is not medically necessary.

Second, you can't just fill up the pocket with fat, it won't survive.

You need removal of the implants and capsules and then replace implants if you want new ones.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS