Am I a Good Candiate for a Chin Implant?

I am a 21 year old female. I am interested in getting a chin implant for my weak chin. I was told by my orthodontist 4 years ago that I should get orthognathic surgery but I decided against it. I am happy with my appearance except my chin looks bumpy when my mouth is closed and I have an unbalanced profile. Would I be better for jaw surgery or a chin implant?

Candidate for chin implant

+1

A chin implant is a simple, conservative and the least invasive way to augment the chin.  By placing a synthetic implant compose of silastic over the mandible the chin becomes more defined.  It brings the chin forward in the amount of the implant projection.  The implants come in many different sizes and shapes.  The appropriate implant to use is decided at the time of the consultation between the surgeon and the patient.  The jaw surgery is best for patients who have misaligned teeth and have need their jaw broken to get the teeth to fit together properly.  The jaw surgery is performed by oral surgeons and is usually done as an inpatient procedure in the hospital.  

Chin Implant

+1

This is a common consideration in many patients.  If you want any improvement in your occlusion (bite) then you need the orthognathic surgery.  If aesthetics is your main desire then a chin implant may very well be a great option.  Follow up for an in depth consultation for further evaluation.  Good luck!

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Good candidate

+1
A chin implant is a popular procedure to bring a balace to the face especially in profile view. A weak chin may accentuate the size of your nose and visa versa. Based on your photo, I believe you would benfit from a chin implant. A word of caution. A strong chin is not esthetically pleasing trait for women. It is better to have a sighlty weaker chin for women then men. I would advise staying away from large chin plants. Also, there are different surgical methods. I prefer an incision under the chin and not in the mouth. One of the biggest draw backs of intra-oral incision is that the implants eventually move up.

Kyle S. Choe, MD
Virginia Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for chin implant surgery

+1

Based on the photos you showed, and consdering you have consulted regarding orthognathic surgery and decided against it, you would be an excllent candidate for a chin implant. It would improve your profile alignment as well as the dimpling of your chin, which is due to a hyperactive chin muscle trying to lift your lip upward. An implant would add the volume necessary to enhance the profile and decrease the necessity for that muscle to work so hard, and therefore lessen the dimpling. Good Luck. Mark Samaha, MD

Mark Samaha, MD
Montreal Facial Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for chin implant

+1

A chin implant would help with your under-projected chin, though it wouldn't change any bite issues.

The more involved oral surgery that was proposed in the past will help with your dental occlusion and chin projection. Chin implant placement can be done in the office and has a shorter recovery time, but it won't improve your bite at all.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Am I a Candidate for a Chin Implant?

+1

If you have good dental occlusion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery. Orthognathic surgery is much more involved, but review that approach before making a decision.

You appear to be a good candidate for Chin Implant Surgery.

+1

I read your concern and reviewed your photos:

After proper evaluation by a reputable, experienced facial plastic surgeon, you may be able to improve the appearance of your weak chin with Chin Implant Surgery. You should go to several consultations, with computer-imaging, to see what might be best for you.

In my experience, your chin-dimpling may improve after Chin Implant Surgery. Otherwise, it may be treated with around 12 units of carefully placed Botox.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Dr. Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

Based ONLY on the posted photos you could attain an improved profile with a chin implant or mandibular advancement surgery. Seek in person evaluations. 

Chin Implant Or Chin Osteotomy Would Be Effective For Large Chin Deficiency

+1

Since you have made an educated pass on jaw advancement surgery, you would be a good candidate for chin augmentation with an implant. You have a fairly significant chin deficiency and would need a large implant. Given the size of your chin deficiency, you may also consider a chin osteotomy which moves only the chin bone. That may be better for you given your long-remaining lifetime. This would also help improve your chin dimpling which is a direct result of lip incompetence and an overactive mentalis muscle.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Chin implant?

+1

If you are OK with your teeth, a chin implant is an excellent option. It is simple and relatively inexpensive compared to orthognathic surgery. The dimpling is due to the action of the mentalis muscle trying to elevate the lower lip from way back there. After the chin implant, the lip will start out in a better position and the dimpling may improve spontaneously.

Peter T. Truong, MD
Fresno Oculoplastic Surgeon