Am I a Chin Lipo Candidate? (Photos)

I live in S. Louisiana and want to improve my chin area. I am 42 & of ideal wt. Is there any way to improve my profile other than a necklift/facelift? I've had a couple of consults & have been rec'd everything from Ultherapy to smartlipo (with chin implant) to a mini or full facelift. I'd really like to consider the lipo option but am worried about saggy skin. I have no problem with the mini facelift option other than the quote seems disproportionate to my needs. Advice? Thanks!

Neck Liposuction will not give you good results

+3

Greetings,

Liposuction is a wonderful treatment for fat necks with good skin elasticity; that description does not fit the picture you have posted. You seem to have weakness of the muscle sling of the neck, with separation in the midline causing your visible cords and excess skin. Treatment for this involves suturing the muscle in the midline and probably tightening for the sides. With this, a small amount of skin is usually removed as well. Chin liposuction would seem to have little long-term benefit for you.

Hope this helps - best of luck. Sam Jejurikar, MD

Am I a Chin Lipo Candidate? (Photos

+2

You are a candidate, however, I would add what is called platysmal plication, which is tightening of the sheet-like muscle called the platysma which runs from the jawline to the chest, along with removal of a small area of redundant skin.  You will likely see improved definition of the jawline and a better profile.  This also creates more of a "v-shaped" face which is more feminine.

Dr. Malouf

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist

Chin area improvement

+2

Thank you for sharing your photos.   I see several patients similar to you in my office.   Based on your photos, you have a retrusive chin and a mild to moderate platysmal band.   You have fairly decent skin quality and minimal fatty tissue.

In my hands, I would recommend a midline platysmaplasty (necklift) with chin (implant) augmentation.  I believe that this would give nice definition to your jawline and correct the platysmal banding seen of profile view   Based on your photos, you appear too young for a formal face or necklift, which involves scars around the ear.     The midline platsymaplasty and chin augmentation involves only a 1 inch incision under the chin.   Recovery time in about 1 week off from work, where a garment will be worn full time..   Swelling and bruising can take 2-3 weeks to fully resolve, but easily concealed by mineral based makeups.

I wish you a safe and happy recovery.

Paul S. Gill, MD

Liposuction will not get the job done here.

+2

The problem here is the neck cord.  If it bugs you, chin lipo is not going to iron this out.  The platysma in the neck needs to be trimmed in the midline and then resuspended behind the angle of the jaw.  If is possible to have an isolated midline platysmaplasty alone without  lateral facial work.  Once a decision is made to suspend the platysma at the side of the face, then one should also perform a facelift.  Terminology gets a little wormy here.  There are not agreed upon meaning form some of these terms.  A miniface lift generally means that an incision is only in front of the ear.  This will not really be adequate to redrape the lower face skin that is contributing to the neck laxity.  For this the facelift needs to turn the corner behind the ear.  I would be very careful about proprietary facelifts advertised on TV.  It is possible that will neck cord botox and chin filler, your might have a degree of improvement that allows you to avoid surgery for a time.

Consider limited surgery

+1

Aging in the lower face and neck generally presents in the early forties as early howling and skin laxity. I would like to see a complete series of photos to further evaluate the face and neck.  Just judging from whative seen I would recommend minimal liposuction with short scar lift and chin implant.  These procedures would not preclude you from a facelift later in life.

Jeffrey Joseph, MD, FACS
Lafayette Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat isn't really the problem here

+1

Fat isn't really your problem here but loose skin and muscle is.  If you have gone to a physician who promises you improvement through liposuction such as smart lipo or any of those catchy phrases you should run away.

Your best result is going to come from tightening the skin and muscle, the real problem here.  While there are a few mildly different approaches here they all end up with some type of incision around the earlobe and behind your ear.  Some call it a neck lift, others call it a platysmal sling but the same approach and end goal is used by everyone doing this.  Since your face doesn't appear to have aged as much as your neck this is a great way to get the youthfulness above the jaw in sync with what's going on below the jaw!.

Phillip C. Haeck, MD

Chin Liposuction

+1

If you have liposuction and still have lax skin, a mini facelift may be your only other option to get to where you want to be.  See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who offers both options, and then evaluate the options.  Only after an exam and discussing your expectations will any recommendations be accurate.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Improving neck platysmal bands

+1

I agree with the others who have mentioned here that you likely wouldn't benefit from liposuction (judging by your photos). Rather, addressing your platysma band via a neck lift done via an incision under your chin would be more likely to improve your profile.

A small chin implant could also be consider and it could be placed using the same incision. I suspect you could avoid an incision laterally to further tighten the neck but this would have to be more fully evaluated in person.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

Facelift works best for mature neck recontouring

+1

Judging by your excellent photos, you are not a great candidate for simple liposuction.  The amount of excess fat in your upper neck is small, and liposuction might actually make your platysma bands (vertical muscle bands from chin to lower neck) appear more prominent. Also, the skin in this area is beginning to sag, and may sag more if simple liposuction is done.  Good skin tone is very important to achieving a satisfactory result after liposuction.  When you are ready to make a substantial improvement to the aesthetics of the aging upper neck, a facelift is the gold standard procedure.  A facelift will include removal of excess fat, correction of the platysma bands, as well as redraping and tightening of the upper neck and lower facial skin.

Pamela B. Rosen, MD
Coral Springs Plastic Surgeon

No to chin lipo

+1

Thanks for sharing your pictures.  It looks as if you have some laxity of the platysma muscle, the most superficial muscle of the neck.  The usual repair for this condition is tightening of this muscle by way of an incision placed in the area of the crease under your chin.  An incision behind the ears to suspend the skin may not be necessary but this is a decision that can be made by your surgeon at the time of your examination. You do not appear to have any fat accumulation so a liposuction may result in more exposure of the platysma bands in the mid line.  Good luck!

Joseph N. Togba, MD
Oakland Plastic Surgeon