Am I a Canidate for a Lip Lift

I had a lip lift about a year ago and see there is no difference, I may not have expressed what i wanted to the doctor properly. i feel that my face would look less thin and long if my lip was raised a bit more. am i a good candidate?

Avoid the lip lift! Balance your face!

+3

I would be very careful before moving forward with a lip lift!  When a patient feels that their lip is too long it is usually a result of a skeletal imbalance.  the answer to improved aesthetics is frequently changing a related feature such as the nose or chin.  A lip can appear shorter when the thirds of the face and the base of the nose is volumetrically enhanced.  All of these interventions leave no distorting scar.  Craniofacial surgeons try to avoid this scar even in reconstructive cases because it is always noticable and affects lip dynamics.  I am of craniofacial background and feel that this approach is rarely if ever indicated in aesthetic interventions.

In your case specifically I would have to see your entire face at a flat angle but it appears that your nose is a bit short, strained and the height of your middle third of the face is high.  Chances are that rhinoplasty with lengthening and strngthening of the columella combined with fat grafting to the base of your nose and lip would give you the balanced face you are after without scars.

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Are you a lip lift candidate?

+2

Beautiful lips are identified by having a nice cupid's bow, having the perfect amount of space between your upper lip and your nose, and having a degree of fullness in the lips. For some reason, society seems to mainly focus on the ‘fullness’ part, with a complete disregard for the other features that make beautiful lips.

It appears you have a nicely shaped cupid's bow and a nice degree of fullness already. Without seeing you in consult it's hard to say definitively whether a lip lift will give you the look you're after, but if the current distance between your upper lip and the bottom of your nose is what's bothering you, it's likely you're a good candidate. Measure the distance between the bottom of your nose and your upper lip. If that distance is longer than 1.1 cm, or if you simply can't see you upper teeth when your mouth is slightly open, consider consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD