16 Y/O 34DD - Am I a Candidate for Getting a Breast Reduction?

im 16 years old, 5'2 about 128 lbs. my bras are 34DD but they dont even fit. i really hate my breast, there very saggy and i dont feel like a young teenager.. my back hurts constantly, i cant wear certain things. i just dont know how to go about getting a breast reduction because my mom doesnt approve. she thinks its dangerous for any surgery in general. plus she cant really afford it unless my insurance covers it. i just want to know if it sounds like im eligible to get it done despite my age.

Start with your insurance

+2

It's a shame your mom isn't on-board with you.  The truth is that you won't be able to do any of this without her consent, as you are under the age of 18.  If you want to do some more homework, though, then present everything to your mom, I would start with the issue of insurance coverage.  Contact your insurer and ask them to send you their criteria for medically necessary breast reduction.  Or go online and see if you can download their criteria.  You may find that they restrict such surgery to women over the age of 18.  If that's the case, they won't cover your reduction until then.

If they will cover it for you sooner than age 18, the next thing you'll need is documentation from your primary doctor about the symptoms you have related to your breast size: back pain, neck pain, etc.  Then have your primary doctor recommend a plastic surgeon. Or look for a surgeon on your insurance plan's website.

Good luck!

Breast Reduction for Teenager

+1

It sounds like you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for the frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.

It sounds like you have done your homework and understand the potential risk and consultations associated with breast reduction surgery. You also understand that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).

I would suggest an in-person consultation with a well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. Best wishes.

Breast reduction in teens is an option.

+1

In our Santa Rosa, California practice, we have had many teenagers who successfully had breast reduction for symptoms such as yours.  There is a possibility that you could still have some breast growth left, so try to hold off as long as you can.  Having said that, many patients we have done at ages 16 through 18 are thrilled to have had the procedure.  It is still possible to breast feed after breast reduction in many cases, although it is not a guarantee.  Best of luck.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Absolutely, but you may require a second reduction in the future.

+1

Women, like you, who experience musculoskeletal loading, skin rashes and psychosocial inconveniences because of heavy breasts are candidates for breast reduction.  However your young age makes it imperative that your parents are also on board with you having a surgery.  Your height and weight, good health and motivation are a definite plus, but not only should you educate yourself on the procedure and convalescence, with the assistance of a board certified PS but you should be aware that your breasts may "regrow", after pregnancy, weight gain, and/or menopause.  If that doesn't deter you, go for it.  Breast reduction patients are amongst the most content in any PS practice.  Good luck.

Lavinia Chong, MD

Breast reductions create happy patients

+1

Our happiest patients are often those after breast reductions.  They find they are able to do things like participate in sports and enjoy clothes off the rack without needing alterations.  Their social outlook is brighter and they often wonder why they didn't get their surgeries sooner.  I have been pleased with the European inspired short scar vertical reduction techniques for over a decade now.  Ask your surgeon about the possibility for insurance coverage, and be ready to discuss all the functional barriers that are interfering with your activities.

Randy Wong, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction good if breasts have stopped growing.

+1

Hi.

If your breasts have not grown for a year, I would recommend it and you are probably eligible for insurance coverage.

It is natural for your mom to be worried about your having surgery, but most parents agree after they understand the benefits and the safety.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast reduction in adolescents

+1

Breast reduction surgery has been shown to alleviate symptoms such as neck and back pain, and may be safely performed in teenagers. You will need parental consent before undergoing any procedure and also for consultation with a plastic surgeon.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Breast Reduction and Insurance

+1

You and your mom should seek out a board certified plastic surgeon and be examined.  There will need to be some measurements done and then a letter written to your insurance company.  Given all the information, you insurance company will make a decision if this is of medical necessity.

It sounds like may be a candidate given the problems you are having.  There are certain criterias that are used to determine if the insurance company would approve your surgery and this can only be determined after seeing a plastic surgeon.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Breast Reduction

+1

Yes, you sound like a good candidate for breast reduction surgery.  I would suggest that you and your mom have a few consultations with plastic surgeons.  Breast reduction is a very common procedure with minimal risk.  Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Common surgery

+1

This is very commonly done surgery. It is safe and effective, you need to find out if your insurance will cover it as all insurances vary and they want to pay for as little as possible. Also, you need to speak to your parents about it and have their agreement. Go see a plastic surgeon with your mom and see how it goes.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD