Am I A Candidate/is It Useful for Me to Try Hair Restoration? (Young Male Under 20)

Hello, I'm Jesse, and I've been balding since I was 16. Though I don't really want to speculate about how, I believe it's no coincidence that I started to lose density, volume, and growth since my appendicitis. It burst in 2008, and I couldn't see a doctor for 5 days, (No relatives near, no insurance card on me) and had I known it wasn't just a bad ache, I wouldn't have roughed it. So I'm 19, and unattractive. I wonder if restoration would work for someone so young? Thank you for your time.

Consider non-surgical treatment and visit with an MD

+1

Consider non surgical methods such as Rogaine for now. There are many methods of hair transplantation.  Wanted them RFUE and another can be a surgical flap.  Grafts can be taken with as few as one hair follicle or multiple follicles.  The quality of the hair, the number of follicles per unit and the location in which the hair is to be placed are all important determinants in the final result.  While it is a common misconception that hair can and should be taken from any location, taking appropriate hair from an appropriate location is key to success.  For instance, one cannot always use hair from a beard to replace a frontal hairline.  The orientation in which Harris placed is also important.  If the frontal hairline is being created then it is important to make sure that hairs are aligned in the correct orientation.  The way the hair is also laid down, for example a staggered pattern versus a straight line will also change the quality of the result.  You should certainly visit with a surgeon who does many of these types of transplantations as well as offers multiple options for hair restoration.  The cost can vary by geographic locale.  In general they can arrange from $7000-$25,000.  When you go over consultation ask for before and after photographs.

Candidacy for Surgical Hair Restoration

+1

Hi Jesse. Though medication and illness can play a large factor in hair loss, you should consult a physician to find out if you are also suffering from early onset male pattern baldness. If this is the case, your hair will most likely continue to progress, and surgical hair restoration at this point would be largely futile. Most hair transplant surgeons will not consider you a candidate until you are over the age of 24. For now, try a non-surgical solution, like finasteride. This medication is prescription only, but is proven effective at stopping hair loss.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Hair Transplant under 20

+1

I would NOT recommend a hair transplant. You will continue to lose more hair. It is policy in our clinic that we do not do any transplant below age 25. I would try propecia and rogain. Dr. Behnam 

Ben Behnam, MD
Santa Monica Dermatologic Surgeon

Good Candidate for Transplant

+1

At 19 years old there is a good probability that you will suffer some further hair loss. Which was mostly genetic and not related to the appendicitis. Shock loss from surgery or medical problems usually returns after the problem is resolved with normal hair growth. You are a good candidate for transplantation even at 19 years old if you have good donor hair and good health. You can continue with further transplantation work in the future if hair loss continues. Personally I recommend trying to stay ahead of the hairloss problem and that way you keep a natural look as though nothing is being done.

Richard Galitz, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Options in Young Patients

+1

You need to be extremely careful before committing to a hair transplant.  Since you are young and already thinning the chance that this thinning will progress is very high.  You do not want to get a transplant now that will be noticeable and unnatural as you age.  The good news is that there are some things to try.  First, I would begin with medical therapy.  This could include minoxidil and Propecia.  These would have to be obtained through a prescription via your doctor so I would start there.  They can further discuss the risks and benefits of each.  While you are waiting for the medicine to kick in (at least 6 months) you could consider camouflage products. Toppik and DermMatch are two popular products.  Toppik increases visual hair density while DermMatch decreases the visibility of the scalp.  After several months on the medications then you can proceed with a hair transplant consult.   I would recommend several consults.  Find someone that you trust.  Many may make you wait until you are older.  Tread slowly and with careful consideration.  Good luck!

Hannah Vargas, MD
Kansas City Facial Plastic Surgeon