Am I a Candidate for Upper Lid Blepharoplasty?

I really want my upper lids done, but someone told me that I might not be able to close my eyes if I do. So I was wondering if I am a candidate for the procedure?

Candidate for upper blepharoplasty?

I do not know how old you are, but you have a young looking eyelid. You have a very nice upper eyelid fold, fullness in the upper lid, short preseptal fold (eyelid fold distance from the eyelash line), basically an eyelid one is aiming to achieve with surgery. I would not operate on you, don't let anyone else either to talk you into it.

Candidate for upper lid blepharoplasty

You could probably undergo an upper lid blepharoplasty and still be able to close your eyes.  However, your eyelids look youthful, and are similar to the appearance of many models on the cover of fashion magazines.  I do not think you should have an upper lid blepharoplasty done at this time.

Not recommending an upper eyelid blepharoplasty

You have a nice shape to your upper eyelids and I would not recommend an upper eyelid blepharoplasty at this time.  

Upper Lid Bleph

Hi Tammy.  Please consider posting additional photos.  Of course, the definitive answer always rests with an in person consultation.  Looking at your photo, you appear to have a nice eyelid crease.  Suspect no intervention in required.  Good luck and best wishes.

Anand G. Shah, MD
San Antonio Facial Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for a Blepharoplasty

I would not recommend an upper eyelid blepharoplasty at this time. You have a natural upper eyelid crease that does not appear to have excessive skin folding over the crease. The contour of your eyelid is natural and your eyes have a normal almond shaped appearance. I suggest consulting with a highly trained oculoplastic surgeon in your area if you have any further questions.

William P. Mack, MD, PA
Tampa Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid, bleph,blephaoplasty,eyelid lift,facelift

It is very difficult to be able to answer your question without examining you in person. that being said the photo submitted does show a small amount of  excess ski. You have a few options, surgical and non surgical when it comes to eyelids. I wouldn't't jump into surgery until you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon. Blepharoplasty corrects the signs of aging in both the upper and lower eyelids. More than 100,000 men and women undergo the procedure every year to remove puffiness and "bags" under the eyes as well as excess skin, which may even impair vision. Eyelid surgery is easily done under sedation or local anesthesia and produces a refreshed and rejuvenated appearance. The procedure is commonly performed individually but is also combined with a face-lift, forehead lift or laser skin resurfacing.

Ramtin Kassir, MD
Wayne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Candidate for upper lid blepharoplasty

The upper lid blepharoplasty is an operation that is done to remove excess puffiness and skin from the upper lids. The excess skin comes from the aging process while puffiness is fat present in the orbital septum. When the puffiness is present, it is removed at the same time as the blepharoplasty. The incision for the upper lids is located in the upper lid crease and blends right in the fold.  

Upper Lid Blepharoplasty

Your picture reveals some fullness to the upper eyelid.  The best way to determine if you are a reasonable candidate is to have a surgical consult.  There are risks and complications associated with all procedures certainly inability of closure of the eyelid is a complication that can be avoided with proper patient selection and execution of the the procedure.

Dr. ES

Eyelift Candidate or Browlift Candidate

You may be a candidate for an Upper Lid Blepharoplasty (eyelift), but you might also want to consider a browlift as an alternative to achieve the look you're after, for the upper eyelids resume their natural youthful position.

A fallen brow can make the eyes appear scrunched together, as if it's excess skin. The problem with the upper eyelift is that removal of upper eyelid skin can sometimes create problems with closing the eyes. And, sometimes, an eyelift doesn't really solve the aesthtic problem like the browlift does.

Consider discussing a browlift as an alternative to an eyelift during your consult. You may get better results and the added benefit of getting a tiny bit of lift in the upper cheek area. See the video and the reference link for more information.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Very Important To Be Able To Close Your Eyes

Tammy 10, Dr. Steinsapir has given you very important advice to follow.  It is very important that your eyes are properly measured and examined prior to eyelid surgery.  No one wants to have a cosmetic procedure to be left with an adverse affect like poor eyelid closure.  I invite you to my Sterling Heights' location, Accents Cosmetic Surgery and Medical Spa, for a complimentary evaluation.  Together we will determine your best course of action in regard to your eyelids.  I look forward to working with you.  Mark Berkowitz, MD 586-254-7692

Mark Berkowitz, MD
Sterling Heights Oculoplastic Surgeon