Am I a Candidate for an Upper Blepharoplasty?

I feel like my eyes could be more attractive if I reduced the heaviness of my upper eyelids (I also want to reduce the hollowness under my eyes with injections) What do you think? Am I a candidate for an upper blepharoplasty?

Candidate for eyelid surgery?

+5

NO, NO, NO! Don't let anyone touch them. You don't need a browlift or eyelid surgery. They look great and you can find someone to operate on you and it would be the worst mistake you could make.

Are you a candidate for upper blepharoplasty

+5

If the photo is a good one. Your lids are perfect and my vote is against surgery. I would not even consider a filler if the picture is true to you. You are bound to make other readers jealous, just get out and enjoy.

peterejohnsonmd

Upper Blepharoplasty

+4

It would be hard to improve on what I see in your picture. I would, therefore, suggest doing nothing. Look at some of the models in the fashion magazines and compare them to yourself. You compare very favorably.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Not a candidate for upper eyelid surgery

+3

Actually, No.  From your photo, your eyebrows appear low and that's what's causing the fullness of your upper eyelids.  If this fullness is removed from the upper eyelids, the eyebrows will be pulled lower in position after the upper eyelid surgery.  This, of course, should be confirmed during a consultation for Eyelid Surgery with a well experienced plastic and cosmetic surgeon. 

If you hold your eyebrows into the proper aesthetic position and the upper eyelid fullness dissapears this indicates brows that are low.   The procedure to correct this would be a Brow Lift, not Upper Eyelid Surgery.  Hope this helps.

Upper blepharoplasty candidate

+3

The best candidate for an upper blepharoplasty is someone whose upper eyelid skin is touching the eyelashes.  The incision is hidden right in the upper eyelid crease, a small amount of excess skin and fat is removed from the upper eyelids to give more definition to them.  We do not recommend any injections underneath the eyes since we have seen too many complications in this area from other offices.  It is best to just leave them alone.  

Upper Eyelid Options for Cosmetic Enhancement

+3

Hi 704869anon,

Thank you for sharing a photograph. Based on the single photograph, I agree with other plastic surgeons and specialists that you are not an appropriate candidate for eyelid surgery. A upper eyelid that is full is generally considered youthful & attractive. You may consider Botox Cosmetic to help smooth the Crow's feet wrinkles. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a cosmetic specialist help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

14 different doctors, 14 different answers??

+2

As you can gather by the many different answers listed above, often there are many different approaches to the same problem. As a plastic/reconstructive surgeon, it is just as important to assess patient expectation, as well as properly assess the underlying anatomic concern.

Most would agree that your eyelids have a full, youthful appearance and that surgery is not the way to go. A subtle "chemical browlift" with botox may be all you need.

A formal evaluation by a surgeon well versed in both cosmetic eyelid surgery as well as the usage of injectibles/fillers is indicated. I would recommend to go in armed with old photos [portrait sized if possible] of yourself to see what aging changes have taken place.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eyelid surgery, #blepharoplasty, #tiredeyes, #fatgrafting

+2

Dear Anon

Thank you for your question!  Your upper eyelids/eyebrow have a nice youthful shape and fullnes- so no to surgery.  You may lose some volume in these areas as you age- so if it is removed now it may prematurely age your appearance.  If you have hollows under your eyes- ( hard to tell from the photo) - then Restylane or micro fat grafting work well to soften the hollow and make the eyes look fresher.

With Warm Regards,

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Blepharoplasty not always indicated with full upper eyelids

+2

Judging from your photo, you have a full upper eyelid but not a significant skin excess.  Removing any skin will unlikely improve your appearance and possibly lower the brow.  Elevation of the lateral brow with botox will reduce a small amount of the lateral brow hooding.  Botox could also be used into the crow's feet and a small amount to the lower eyelid to soften the muscle activity.  A surgical approach will most likely cause more harm than good.

Glen Brooks, MD
Springfield Plastic Surgeon

Blepharoplasty vs browlift

+2

You have beautiful eyes, however they are hidden and not in full view.  Blepharoplasty would be helpful if you desire a more defined upper lid or desire an eyelid crease.  A browlift would elevate the brows and eliminate some of the hooding seen which mkes your brows appear heavy.  It's purely a matter of taste.   The best thing to do is go for a consult and explore the options.  

David V. Martini, MD
Elkton Facial Plastic Surgeon