Am I a Candidate for a Mini Tummy Tuck?

I have a horizontal scar under my bellybutton. The scar itself is not the issue so much as the fat that hangs over it. I'm not fat but the scar creates enough of an indentation that its always there. I was told a tummy tuck would help, but I'm concerned about having another scar hip to hip. Would it be possible to just lower the scar so it would hide under a bikini, but also be relatively short? I don't think I need liposuction or anything, just for the scar to be lowered so the skin lays flat.

Scar

+2

Thanks for including the photo.  I would neither perform a mini nor full tummy tuck on you.  Both would lower your scar, but not sufficiently enough to achieve your desired goal.  What is likely best is a scar revision.  When this is performed well it will result in a much more favorable appearance.  I also agree that you do not need lipo.  And, if you are considering more children, definitely wait on the tummy tuck.

Good luck

Not a candidate for a mini-abdominoplasty

+1

The indentation can definitely be repaired so that you would have a flat scar in the same location otherwise you would need to consider a standard abdominoplasty with a low transverse scar that will be covered by your underwear and bathing suit bottom.  

Mini Tummy Tuck incision

+1

A mini tummy tuck and full tummy tuck both require a scar in the bikini line.  The length of the incision really depends on the degree of skin laxity.  A good candidate for the mini is if you have a small degree of laxity beneath the belly button and your a pretty happy with your upper abdominal contour.  You can certainly add liposuction or laser liposuction to further enhance your results.

The main advantage of the full tummy tuck (the more common procedure) is that you can tighten the muscles along the entire abdomen and you can also resect more loose tissue, i.e. more stretch marks.  You have a nice contour above and below the belly button, so a mini tummy tuck may very well be sufficient to lower your scar.  The one concern that I have is that your scar is more on the right side and is already close to your hip.  To have a symmetric result, you may require a scar that is hip to hip.  The main benefit beyond some additional contouring is that you will be lowering your scar.  Also realize that the degree of lowering will be based on your physical exam as there needs to be sufficient laxity to lower the scar enough to get to the bikini/underwear line.  Good luck with your decision.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

Your scar sounds like it would benefit from a mini TT.  See a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and they can assess your level of benefit from this type of procedure.

Vivek Bansal, MD
Danville Plastic Surgeon

Mini tummy tuck is not the right operation for most patients

+1

I would consider a full tummy tuck with a short vertical umbilical closure near the pelvic scar. A mini TT will not remove sufficient skin to remove your retracted scar. We can get much more skin advancement with a full TT. Seek out a good plastic surgeon for the best results possible.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Candidates for a mini tummy tuck

+1

A mini tummy tuck is a safe and effective procedure that can create a more contoured abdomen, a tight waist and a beautiful figure.

In our practice, we perform tummy tucks in patients of all shapes, sizes, and walks of life. We see body contouring surgery as a spectrum and place the patient within that spectrum depending on what that specific person may need. If the patient does not have a great deal of excess abdominal skin they may be a candidate for a mini tummy tuck.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Scar on lower mid abdomen

+1

The problem that you have in terms of dropping the old scar lower is that a mini tummy tuck does not take out that much skin and I think that your scar is too high without doing a full tummy tuck to get it out and low enough. Of course, an exam is critical.

Candidate for a Mini Tummy Tuck

+1

Thanks for posting a photo, it really helps. I recommend just a scar revision of the indented scar ONLY! Do not seek a mini or full tummy tuck. Be careful out there. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091

Options for objectionable tummy scar

+1

In my opinion, your scar is too high to lower it to the level where it would be covered by a bikini. You may want to consider a simple scar revision. Some of my patients have undergone tattoo to camouflage unsightly scars from general surgery. 

Scar revision is all you need

+1

As has been said, from your photos you do not need a tummy tuck, full or mini.  There is no way to significantly lower your scar but a well performed scar revision can eliminate the dent and make it much less visible.  Good luck!

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS