Am I a Candidate for a Mini Abdominoplasty?

I'm 5'10, 174 lbs, in great shape. 2-3 years ago, I experienced a dramatic weight loss. I weighed 220 and went all the way down to now, 174. I'm very satisfied with how much I've lost, however, I now have excess skin around my abdomin area. I work out every other day (I have a six pack, however, its not visible due to excess skin :( ) Please let me hear your thoughts. I think I have skin than fat. Is there a procedure for just ridding excess skin? Thank you

Mini or full tummy tuck?

+1

Congratulation on the weight loss results you have achieved!

In my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.
For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve your chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

Mini Abdominoplasty vs. Full Tummy Tuck

+1

It sounds like you do have mostly excess skin and not fat. It also sound like the muscle/fascia of your abdominal wall is tight. If the excess skin is only below your belly button then this can be tightened with a mini tummy tuck. If the skin above the belly button is also loose and sagging, then a full tummy tuck with relocation of the belly button would be required to tighten the skin of the entire abdominal wall. A full tummy tuck often also involves tightening the muscle/fascia layer as well, however if this is not necessary then it will not be performed.

Max Polo, MD

Tummy tuck after dramatic weight loss

+1

A tummy tuck is a safe and effective procedure that can create a more contoured abdomen, a tight waist and a beautiful figure.

In our Miami practice, we have performed the surgery on a wide variety of patients. Patients who have experienced significant weight loss can be great candidates for body contouring. Your best bet is to work with a plastic surgeon who is very experienced in liposuction, abdominoplasty, and body contouring techniques. They will be able to discuss your concerns, thoroughly evaluate you, and compose a surgical plan that will meet your needs. We ask our patients who have lost a dramatic amount of weight to keep in mind that after the weight loss there happens permanent changes to the skin that may result in lost elasticity. For this reason, many patients may require a small revision surgery at a later date after their initial procedure.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Mini or Full tummy tuck in male

+1

From the look of things, I would likely recommend a skin only full tummy tuck to correct the loose skin,

Mini or full abdominoplasty

+1

It appears based on your pictures that you would be a candidate for a full tummy tuck to treat the excess skin above and below your umbilicus.

Samer W. Cabbabe, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Mini tummy tuck

+1

It is hard to say which procedure would benefit you the most.  If you are a candidate for a full tummy tuck, you will have a longer incision than a mini-tummy tuck.

Candidate for Miin-Abdominoplasty

+1

A mini abdominoplasty is for those folks with a little bit of skin in the area between the umbilicus and pubis.  It does not "move" the umbilicus.  By definition, it does not address the muscles underneath.  Hard to say from the photo, but I think you may have too much soft tissue to be handled by just a mini-abdominoplasty.  A full abdominoplasty may e a better choice for you.

Make sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area.  Together, you will make the best plan for your individual case.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Mini vs. full tummy tuck

+1
Based on your photos alone, you may be a candidate for a full tummy tuck which involves more skin removal and muscle tightening than a mini-tummy tuck.  This would be easy to determine if I were able to examine you in person, but based on your weight loss history and photos I would imagine you would have a better overall result with a full tummy tuck.  The resulting scar actually isn't much longer than a mini-tummy tuck scar.  I recommend consulting with one or more board certified plastic surgeons before scheduling any cosmetic abdominal surgery. Be sure you are at a stable weight prior to your surgery, this will help ensure the best long term outcome. Best wishes, Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Mini tummy tuck

+1

Yes, it looks like you would be an excellent candidate for a small reuctio in the excess ski that you have. With this type of procedure, the scar is much shorter, recovery less.

Edward J. Domanskis, MD
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Mini-abdominoplasty = mini results

+1
Trying to do short scar procedures when the skin excess extends beyond the pubic triangle will result in lateral bulges or "dog ears" which will then need longer scars to resolve and you will come full circle back to a full length incision. "Mini" procedures make great marketing pitches but usually lead to disappointing results.

Marcel Daniels, MD
Long Beach Plastic Surgeon