Am I a possible candidate for a mini tummy tuck?

44, healthy, 1 child. I've consulted with 2 different PS who have given me different recommendations. Both have said that I have a "high waist" which will make a traditional TT more complicated bc of the height the scar would be placed bc of my anatomy. One said small vertical incision along with a hip-to-hip horizontal scar. Other recommended mini tuck only w lipo under my breasts, flanks and hips. I want the rolls of fat and unevenness and from prev lipo 10 yrs ago removed. Thank you!

Mini tummy tuck vs full tummy tuck

+1
Unfortunately, to give you a definitive answer as to whether you are better candidate for a mini or full tummy tuck, would require a physical exam.  However, if your primary problem (loose skin, excess fat, stretched muscles) is below the belly button, then you may be a candidate for a mini tummy tuck.  If these problems extend above the belly button then I would suggest a full tummy tuck.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

San Jose Plastic Surgeon

+1

Thank you for the question, but without viewing pictures, online consultants will not be able to give you specific enough advice to be truly meaningful.  Generally speaking, in my opinion, the mini tummy tuck is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present for consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
 Again, generally seeking, it is important  for patients seeking abdominal contouring surgery to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve  their chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

+1
     It would be difficult to venture a guess without photos.  I would select the plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of tummy tucks a year and has great reviews and before and after pictures.

Have a full tummy tuck

+1
Have a full tummy tuck and enjoy the great results.  A Mini tummy tuck would in no way achieve your goals.  I say this without photos, but your discussion eliminates the MINI.  MY Best, Dr C

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

TT v. mini-TT

+1
I recommend that you seek an additional consultation.  It is impossible to venture a guess without photos.  I do not believe that a high waist would produce any complications nor should it affect scar placement which is in the suprapubic region for all patients.  The real question is whether you need a tummy tuck or revisional liposuction.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

+1
You are asking us to comment on what might be the best shape changing operation for your body when we have no idea what you look like. Please resubmit your question with front and side photos.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD