Am I a Candidate for a Mini Tummy Tuck? (photo)

I am 5'4 and 108 lbs , Ive had 2 children.I am fairly fit and petite. My main concern is the stretch marks below my belly button and piercing scar on my belly button. My muscle walls are not detached and there is only sagging of skin if i am sitting or bent over. I'm hoping to get a tummy tuck this spring and would like opinions on which way to go??

Candidate for Mini-tummmy tuck?

+1

In order  to get rid of the stretch marks above the belly button a full tummy tuck is needed. You also have some abdominal laxity which will require sutures to be placed to tighten your core.  You certainly appear to be in good shape, and my recommendation is to go with liposuction rather than a tummy tuck  I would speak with a plastic surgeon and relay your concern about limiting the length of the incision if applicable.  The only way to know if this is possible, is to meet with a plastic surgeon and have a full physical exam performed.  Good luck!

Do I need a tummy tuck at all?

+1

Thanks for your question. In your photos you look remarkable for a woman who has had two children.

Mini of full, or even no tummy tuck may be an option.

The best recommendation could only be given by examining you and evaluating the laxity of the skin and the abdominal wall.  Most women who have had 2 pregnancies will benefit from muscle tightening. Actually pinching the skinin consultation will give a better assesment of the laxity.

Full tummy tuck allows a top to bottom tightening of the abdominal wall.  Mini only allows tightening of the muscles below the bellybutton.  This can create what I call a half flat belly, so if you go with mini you may wish to do skin alone.

Consult with a board certified plastics urgeon in your area  to make sure you learn about each option.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Mini Tummy Tuck Candidate or Not?

+1

Seeing your photos and reading your concerns raise my own concerns about whether you will be happy with any surgery at all. You don't appear to have much excess skin and I really can't discern where the stretch marks are. A mini tuck could remove a small amount of the stretch marks and the abdominal muscles could be tightened to further flatten your tummy. You don't appear to have too much skin above the umbilicus so a full tummy tuck may not offer you much more than a more limited approach. Your surgeon should be able to assess skin laxity and determine which approach is best. You want to make sure the trade off of scars is worth the improvement you wish to have. Best of Luck  Dr Harrell

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Tummy tuck for stretch marks

+1

The mini-tummy tuck would take about half the skin below the umbilicus out vs a full tummy tuck which would take all the skin out between the umbilicus and the pubic ramus. Bassed on the picture I cannot tell how extensive the marks are. Before doing either you could try nonsurgical methods, a laser could create improvement and there are other things that may be used to improve stretch marks.

Walter D. Gracia, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Mini Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Overall, you should be very pleased with the appearance of the abdomen that you have maintained despite 2 pregnancies. I would suggest that you  be VERY CAREFUL  with your decision regarding tummy tuck surgery.

In my opinion, your choices are:

1. Do nothing surgically;  sometimes this is the best option for patients in your situation.  Personally, I would vote for this option.

2. Full tummy tuck surgery;  this is the operation that will address your concerns regarding stretch marks below the umbilicus and the appearance of the umbilicus itself.

In my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present in consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery. 
It is important  for patients seeking abdominal contouring surgery to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve  their chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.